Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 11 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2016   #101

Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
Most things are simply assembled in America with raw materials and components being sourced from abroad. I don't know where Sotar sourced their material, but I do know they bought a run of drop-stitch material from Woosung IB several years ago and it did not meet their quality standards. I believe they are very particular about quality and sometimes shit happens. Chances are the supplier could care less if they buy material again, it's a huge global market. Anyone who has attended the Outdoor Retail show in SLC has seen the entire floor dedicated to material suppliers (mostly Asian). I like the discussion, but I think opinions have been expressed and it's time to leave this between the OP and Sotar. Of course you won't hear Sotar and Star typically come up in the same conversation, but I'll say from my experiences they are good people with a great product.

Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016   #102

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It sounds like this is sort of working out.

Sotar aside, I would be bummed if I had a delamination problem with any of my boats (Hyside, NRS, aire) and they said that I only bought their workmanship (the assembly of the boat) not a working boat, and my contract for the material the boat was made of, is a separate contract, to be guaranteed by another company.

Seems nrs had a durability problem with the urethane material in their revolution line of boats A few years back. I wonder how they handled that situation.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #103

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post

Seems nrs had a durability problem with the urethane material in their revolution line of boats A few years back. I wonder how they handled that situation.
They eat it. Stop making them and sold the remaining inventory at a huge discount with no warranty.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016   #104

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
They also gave full refunds and took the boats back from any unhappy owners... I was impressed with the way nrs stood behind the revolution boats when it was determined that the fabric wasn't up to the job. They set a great example for other companies.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #105

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Sotar dun fixed it

Got my boat back a few days ago, Wednesday, took it out yesterday. Sotar did a really good job on the repairs. I had forgot that my floor had a very slow leak. Just seemed like part of life. They replaced the floor without me mentioning it. The rest of the repairs look top notch. That top right photo is before topping off air pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N2 (2).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	12110   Click image for larger version

Name:	N2 (1).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	637.6 KB
ID:	12111  

Click image for larger version

Name:	N3.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	872.7 KB
ID:	12112  
Denray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #106

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
Glad to hear this and that it all worked out well for you. Thanks for posting the update.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #107

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
What changed your mind about allowing a repair? In your earlier posts you didn't think that would be a good option. Glad you have your boat back!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #108

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
What if it happens on another part of the "defective" material? Did they give you a guarantee with the remaining portions of the raft?
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #109
Was here

Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Brasscap, that was my exact same thought. The son also made this concern (which was mine after reading the posts) on page 8.

I have all my frames fabricated from sotar because they took over for Vic's custom welding when he passed away. They are a good quality frame with latch in boxes that have served me well. However, they are all strapped into my RMR drop-stitched floor boats and one RMR cat. Nice frames, but every time I go into the business in Merlin the staff are stoic, or inattentive, or they seem like I'm bothering them. I can't really put my finger on it - I Just don't feel like they are friendly enough to earn my business. Not once did they ask me what boat I row or what they could do to earn my raft business. I did deal with Joe Fusco for the frames and he was pretty nice by taking the time to get to know me a bit. The others who I saw there pretty much seemed like they could care less that I drove 120 miles to visit their dingy, cluttered & empty showroom. Hey guys: smile a bit why don't you, and get out from behind your desks when a customer walks in and maybe dust off some of your stock upstairs...

That's my experience with them.

Glad to hear the repair was done, but I'm worried about the remaining fabric so I'll follow this thread to see how it goes. $6500 SOTAR and no replacement? ? ? Loving my RMR - thanks Denny & Bobby!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 08-09-2016   #110

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Nothing changed my mind about allowing the repair. They just did it and sent the raft to me. I believe it's a 1 yr warranty on repairs.
Denray is offline   Reply With Quote