Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 10 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2016   #91

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Folks,

Some serious trolling got cleaned up from this thread along with posts feeding the trolls. Just a reminder trolls will be banned, and "sock puppet" accounts will be banned as well. When banning trolls and sockpuppet accounts, the IP may be banned as well thus cutting the user's original account out of MB.

Please keep it civil, don't feed trolls, and have a great time shooting the shit about the topic at hand.

You can check out the Community Rules HERE.

Thanks for your understanding, and if you've got something to say about moderation, shoot the moderators a PM or go to the help desk.

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016   #92

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What all you internet scoundrels don't realize is there are only two things that keep a raft afloat. Air and badass boating skillz (the z is important). The more badass you are the less your boat needs to hold air. Once you get to legendary status your badass-ness can actually float several boats negating the need for foolish accoutrements such as patch kits and warranties.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #93

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Good stuff Andy

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #94

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Sotar has been around for a very long time, and if you look at any other thread besides this one I dont think you will find a single bad thing about Sotar. There is always going to be a few problems with any manufacture or company in any industry but I believe that overall Sotar didn't earn its good reputation by building bad rafts or being neglectful on warranties. There has got to be more to this story and Im sure that Sotar will handle it the best way they can.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #95

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
There has got to be more to this story and Im sure that Sotar will handle it the best way they can.
I'm with you on this one. I feel I only know 1% of the issue.

With that said, SOTAR has always been the over priced, over rated boat builder. Long waits to get boats. Material is subject. But if your one of the 98% you'll get a good boat. But as others have said, SOTAR is an "American Business" which to me means profit over anything else. I sure hope Maravia and AIRE don't follow.

I also think that we river ppl are cheap asses. Lets get real here. $6500 for a boat aint shit in today's economy.

Here's the recipe for world domination for any raft builder. Bump the price by 1k, provide financing, Build boats that fail in 10.1 years, and prorate warranty. Brace your self because I believe this is the future of our sport. Its the "American Business Way!"
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #96

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
Sotar has been around for a very long time, and if you look at any other thread besides this one I dont think you will find a single bad thing about Sotar. There is always going to be a few problems with any manufacture or company in any industry but I believe that overall Sotar didn't earn its good reputation by building bad rafts or being neglectful on warranties. There has got to be more to this story and Im sure that Sotar will handle it the best way they can.
I tend to agree with this in general. That is why I keep asking more questions. SOTAR is touted by many to be the "best" with the "best" material which is why they are so expensive so if that be the case why not stand behind their products. Their current warranty and this situation seem beneath them and I'm desperate to know that IT IS beneath them, but....(crickets)
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #97

Hi,

This saga puzzles me in several ways.

But my core puzzlement comes from the question of Sotar's contractual relationship with its fabric supplier. It seems to me that in the course of normal commerce, Sotar would throw any warranty costs such as these back on the company who sold them the bad material. If that supplier would not make Sotar whole, they lose Sotar as a future customer, while Sotar regretfully steps up to the plate to ensure a fully satisfied customer. Of course, if the supplier makes Solar whole, everybody is happy and Sotar's reputation is solid.

Color me perplexed, as in wondering if there somehow are facts not yet disclosed.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #98

Woodland, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

This saga puzzles me in several ways.

But my core puzzlement comes from the question of Sotar's contractual relationship with its fabric supplier. It seems to me that in the course of normal commerce, Sotar would throw any warranty costs such as these back on the company who sold them the bad material. If that supplier would not make Sotar whole, they lose Sotar as a future customer, while Sotar regretfully steps up to the plate to ensure a fully satisfied customer. Of course, if the supplier makes Solar whole, everybody is happy and Sotar's reputation is solid.

Color me perplexed, as in wondering if there somehow are facts not yet disclosed.

Rich Phillips
Rich,

In my conversation with Hugh on the phone, he stated that the problem was with the material, as previously stated, not how they built the boat. When they went to the supplier for details, the supplier did an investigation, but wasn't able to determine a root cause. To me, it sounds like they didn't push hard enough.

In SOTAR's defense, it's not like all affected boats started showing symptoms at the same time. Theres also a dwell time, or delay, from the purchase date until the problem starts to show. In this situation, it was about four years. When it happened on the first boat, they likely counted it as a random event. After a few started showing up they likely went to the supplier and asked questions, but the significance of the situation likely wasn't known at this time. Again, my impression was that they didn't dig deep enough and hold the supplier to the fire until they made SOTAR whole.

Since it wasn't SOTAR's problem, and it wasn't our problem, the proposed solution involves sharing the burden, instead of making the supplier own up to their shortcomings.

KW
pondomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #99

see, it comes out eventually.

it is those damn business owners, capitalists! Maybe if we got Bernie in, he could make sure we all got free boats! Of course there could only be one boat manufacturer, run by the gubmint.

Maravias cost more than Sotars. Does that make them more evil?

Like stated in one of the recent posts, I am sure there is more to this story. I alluded to that previously. More to this story on both sides.

I am a capitalist, an evil money grubbing capitalist. I have seen customers like this before, thankfully they are the exception, not the rule. One customer I had even threatened to call the cops on me AFTER I refunded all their money in CASH!
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #100

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhenry View Post
Maravias cost more than Sotars. Does that make them more evil?
Not ture! If you add add all the extras to the SOTAR that come stock on the Maravia, the SOTAR cost more. Wear strips for frame. Extra urethane coating over the whole boat. Add those cost to a SOTAR and whats your cost???

Plus IMHO Maravia has better material.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote