Old 03-12-2013   #11
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I always thought (and still do) the purpose of an oarlock was to hold it in place, but let the oar go if force/pressure require it, so as not to break the oar. So, I don't quite understand oarlock horns that won't give and have no flex whatever . . . .

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #12
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Originally Posted by MTcatter View Post
First of all, I'm running NRS superston and NRS atomic oarlocks on NRS 8" towers. Cataract oars with plastic sleeve with stopper and rubber stopper. Multiple times my oars on the sleeved part have wedged into the opening on my oar locks. When this happens they are hella stuck. One time after sticking and removing the oar shaft snapped right where it had previously stuck. I changed over to my brand new set of oarlocks and had the same stuck problem on the next slot/rapid. Anybody else have this problem? Would a rope wrap help?
You could tele ski,ride without clipless pedals and raft with oarlocks or step it up.Get pins and clips and foget about it.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #13
Columbia Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 1990
pins and clips? really? no thanks.
MTcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #14
Lexington, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2008
Exact same problem

Had the exact same problem when I was running rope wrapped oars with NRS Superston oarlocks. So much so that I broke two shafts as a result. Then I ripped the rope wrapping off and went with the plastic sleeves and had no further problems. Both times the oars were tuned. I simply don't like the rope wrapped oars with the Superston oarlocks. It could possibly be my angle as well. My last set of oars, I went with rope wrapped oars with Cobra oarlocks. So very quiet and there is no slack in the mechanics to speak of. For me it seems ideal. The only downside to the rope wrapped w/ Cobra's is that they can't be shipped as easily by pulling the handles into the boat. The rope wrap binds a little if the oarlocks are tuned properly. With the smooth plastic sleeve and Superston's, this isn't a problem. Hope this helps, Sam IV
Sam Arnold IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #15
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Had that problem with cobras, only when they were out of tune and only when my nrs tower spun and the angle was all fubar

Switched to proloks now but waiting for a free weekend to try them out

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote