Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 05-16-2016   #11
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Mini mags work great! I bought 7.5 two piece and cut them down to 6'9" and re-drilled the push-button holes for my 11 foot raft. Short oars are less leverage on your arms and a must for really tight narrow rocky rivers. On some creek runs I can touch both banks at the same time, so short oars are the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	11536  

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #12
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
The mini mags do flex. But for a light boat, it is perfect. The flex and rebound definitely adds a little bit of snap or power at the end of a stroke. Over 1,500 river miles, the blades have chipped, but the shafts are still going strong.

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #13
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I haked down a set of bent 10 foot carlise oars to 7' 9" or something close to that for my sabertooth. When you get in a small boat the rule of thirds does not apply. The boat is so light that the oars do not take the levereage away from you like on a big boat. I could go all the way down to 7 or back up to 9 foot and anywhere in between. It is a lot like Dutchman and K2 said it really depends on how skinny the water is.

On a side note, once I cut down those aluminum oars I cut both end of and got to where they are double walled and now they are next to industructible
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #14
Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for all the input.

In the end the cheap-ass in me won. Backcountry just had a deal for +/- 95.00 for 8'-0"

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #15
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
JPWINC Culebra, 48" NRS frame, 8" towers, seat is a flat board even with top of frame, 8' Cataracts, 6'4" tall dude.

I like the set up just fine. I wouldn't go longer. 7.5s would probably be more appropriate for someone of smaller stature. I've heard tell that the 7.5 Carlisle are not full strength however.... And if you think you might not need full strength in a small boat I would respectfully disagree. That extra strength has come into play for me before--I came close to snapping my cataract one time.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #16
plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
Do you happen to have a picture of the culebra set up with the oar rig? I had an aire bobcat, and just did not run it enough to keep it, but do have a culebra, and think it would be a blast to row, but can't wrap my head around putting a frame on it.

jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote