Old 06-29-2015   #11
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I'm almost certain you cannot use Cataracts or std size Sawyers on those pins. Look at the diameter of the aluminum oars on that boat- the knobs on top screw down against the oar shaft to secure it....those pins will not reach thru the larger diameter whitewater oars. Cataract and Sawyer make a smaller diameter oar- Scadden sells a version. I wouldn't use those with a knob and pin oar lock system either.

The recommendation for a frame is your best bet- it is the only way you're going to get the power you will need for even 2 people- let alone 3. Jacks Plastic sells a small fishing raft with a small frame- take a look at that for an idea of what would work. It would need beefing up- but it gives you an idea

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #12
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You might take a look at O1000 Caviness oars. I have some for a lake row boat and they are a little nicer than Carlisle for skinny oars (1.5") I thought and cost about the same. Make sure to buy a spare too.

CavinessŪ - CavinessŪ

MrScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Won't work.

Your plan to use oar clips on your "pins" won't work. First, oar pins don't have the vertical movement that your "pins" have. This will cause all kinds of unintended forces and surely rip out the glued on pins.

Also your pins are at the center of the tube. True pins are on the ends of oar towers that sit 2/3 to all the way at the full width of the boat. This allows for the longer whitewater oars to still adhere to the 2/3rds rule of oar length. In short you would have to keep the same short oar length or risk heavy rowing oars puttng way too much stress on pins that were not designed for it.

At that time you will find out all about scaddens horrific warranty service bUt he would actually be in the right because you tried to attach whitewater oars to a lake boat.

Your best bet short of selling for a loss (by far the best and most responsible option) you should get the caviness oars, drill them on and stick to class 2 and below.

You simply bought the wrong boat for the activity you desire to achieve because you were driven by storage concerns not on water performance. My advice is to realize the mistake and correct it. Throwing more money at the mistake will not correct it. I know it's a crappy lesson to learn, but that's why you can read real reviews on sites like this. Scadden didn't kick any of our dogs. You read "flame" post here because he makes cheap products and sells them to hard working but uninformed consumers who like you, find out that the equipment can't handle what they thought it would.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #14
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
That "class V rating" should be litigated at some point~

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote