Old 12-27-2014   #11
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by spenceuiuc View Post
I've got a 14' Outlaw that I bought as a factory imperfect at the end of the summer. I've only been out on it a couple times so far, so I have limited on-the-water experience with it so far. But, I think it's a great boat for the price. I have several buddies with RMRs, so here are my 2c on the two boats:

NRS Outlaw:
*The drop-stitch floor was great for my buddies fishing off of it
*Bigger tubes (21")
*Wider at 7'2", but feels like it has slightly less storage space due to larger tubes
*Thicker tube material 48oz/sqyd
*Thicker floor material 68oz/sqyd (this is the bottom of the boat floor. the actual drop stitch floor is a completely separate and removable unit, and is thinner than both the floor and the tubes)
*BAT attachment system for floor = totally removable, and the bladder is not directly exposed to abrasion
*Lighter at 145lb (likely due to floor design, less d-rings, handles, less wrap/protection material)
*Additional wear layers on bottom of tubes + up a portion of the side of the tubes (not as high as RMR though)
*Frame chafe strips on top of tubes
*Additional urethane (?) patches on bottom corners
*Inferior outfitting (less handles, d-rings, etc)
*BAT attachment is superior to RMR's card attachment for thwarts (in my opinion)
*Comes with a solid repair kit
*Generally felt like the boat construction was superior; seams were more consistent

*Smaller tubes (20")
*Narrower at 6'10"
*Thinner tube material 44oz/sqyd
*Not sure on floor material weight
*Heavier at 158lb
*Additional wear layers on bottom of tubes + up a portion of the side of the tubes (higher on sides than Outlaw)
*Frame chafe strips on top of tubes
*Superior outfitting (less handles, d-rings, etc.

All in all, they are both great boats for the price point. The RMR seems slightly more burly with the additional wear layers extending further up the side tubes and comes better outfitted from the factory, but you can do a lot of outfitting for the price difference between the RMR and the blemished Outlaw. If they were both $1600, I'd probably choose the RMR with a drop-stitch floor. With the RMR costing about $1k more, I'm happy with my choice of the Outlaw blem with an extra $1k to outfit the boat.

I also got turned on to a website called Active Junky by another 'buzz member; you can sign up for an account with them, follow their link to NRS, and they will give you a 5% refund via paypal (% changes from time to time) for all purchases made at NRS (and a bunch of other web-retailers), which sweetens the deal on the Outlaw blem price. Check it out, here.

Gary over at can make you a great frame on a budget as well. Check him out here.

PM me if you need any more info. Cheers.
Hey thanks for the firsthand info. How is the gap on the floor around the edges, beside the tube? Is there much of a gap, or does it fit tight?

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Yeah there is a gap, can't remember off hand how wide it is though.

spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #13
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by spenceuiuc View Post
Yeah there is a gap, can't remember off hand how wide it is though.
Let me revise that reply with something actually useful: if my memory serves me correctly, there is a bit of a gap all the way around. The gap is largest at the very front of the bow and rear of the stern of the boat (on the order of 2-4"), and slightly smaller on the sides (~1-3").

The floor can be inflated to be very rigid and can be stood on.

Also, what is the story on the foot entrapment risk here?
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #14
Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
I am the happy owner of a 14'rmr. It has been down big water Hells Canyon and floor testing, rock rubbing low water Middle Fork of the Salmon trips. I max loaded er up for a 30 person Main Salmon wedding trip last September and was happy with the way the boat tracked. I was also very pleased with just how much stuff I could pile onto this boat. I was debating on getting the 16' but in hindsight I made the right choice for me. I can roll this boat by myself into an acceptable transport size and I don't see a real big difference in helping my friends carry their hysides and NRS boats. I comes with a great wrap as well for rolled up transport and the warranty was also a sale point of me. Good luck with your search.
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #15
Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
well I was trying to post a pic of my boat but I can't figure that out
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #16
Battlement Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We bought a 14' NRS Outlaw at the beginning of last season (2014). I think its a great boat for the cost. The drop stitch floor inflated to 7lbs+ makes the boat very punchy and the boat turns very easily at the expense of tracking...

Unfortunately we did have an issue with the floor which caused us to bail on Westwater permit ;o( A manufacturing issue lead to the formation of a cluster of tiny holes. ;o(
We got caught in a hole right as the leak formed and took on quite a bit of water as the self bailing floor lost its ability to... well bail... It worked out though because once we took on enough water we just kinda got pulled out of the hole. Surprisingly the system was still able to bail most of the water even though the drop stitch floor was flat...

as for the manufacturing defect... Our retailer and NRS came to the rescue, repaired the manufacturing issue and also gave us a brand new floor but it took a while and our season was over.

Many people seem to be confused about the BAT system and the floor. Their are two layers to the system. The first is the 68/4000 denier floor material that has holes cut out around the inner perimeter for self bailing/ draining. The second is the drop stitch floor which is basically like a drop stitch paddle board connected to the first layer via NRS' batten attachment system.

This system works pretty well. However a-lot of people fear that given the wrong circumstances the gap between the tubes and drop stitch floor could lead to entanglement. I think that you are more likely to get entangled with another part of your rigging. This problem could be exasperated by not properly inflating your floor or possibly with children / smaller feet.

In my experience NRS stands by their products and I am happy with the boat. It is very stable, turns on a dime and punches through everything we have thrown at it. I would probably buy this boat again if I had to.
Zeddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015   #17
Galax, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1974
I have had a tributary 14 footer for 6 years that I have used for fishing. Without the thwarts it is only 110 lbs. The floors are I beam, but I got a 2 inch sheet of ethafoam that I have trimmed and I stand on it as I fish. This protects the floor and is stable and as firm as a sup. A casting platform costs much more weighs 20 pounds. You can also sit while you fish, you dont have to stand. When the water is clear you are more likey to spook fish if you stand. I am pleased with the raft. A 13 foot raft would be enough to fish from unless you just like a larger raft.

richierivertrip is offline   Reply With Quote