Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 02-25-2015   #1
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
NRS Hyrdoskin vs. H2Core leggings - opinions appreciated!

I'm suiting up for a March 20-April 7 Grand Canyon trip, and am debating my layers. I have dibs on a drysuit, own nice NRS splash pants and splash top, but am also looking at purchasing either a pair of NRS Hydroskin (neoprene) leggings or a pair of NRS "H2Core" leggings (which seem to resemble a pair of long undies).

My thoughts are that there will be days on this trip when I'm in the drysuit all day, and plan on wearing either fleece or a regular pair of long underwear underneath. But there will [hopefully] be days I don't need to be caged in a drysuit and can get away with just splash pants or a pair of leggings with board shorts --- I'm having a hard time deciding, solely based on the videos and product descriptions on NRS.com, for the latter. Who all out there has Hydroskin or H2Core pants/leggings? The only conclusion I've come to so far is that the 1.5 mm Hydroskin is probably overkill...thoughts? Lemme know! Insight or anecdotes are appreciated.

Go 'head, show me your best princess ride.
clarktart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #2
Las Vegas, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2013
That really is a great question. The weather could be variable then. Two years ago I launched on March 18, and by the time we exited the Muav Gorge, thermal protection wasn't really necessary. Full disclosure, I did wear a dry suit in Lava Falls anyway.

We put on March 8 this year, and I have basically the same set up as 2 years ago. I have dry pants and a dry top that I will wear, likely more than 2 years ago since we have an earlier launch date along with potentially cooler temps.

Frankly, I would say wear the drysuit on big water days, and be comfortable otherwise. The 1.5mm seems a bit overkill, why not just wear your drysuit? I don't like spending money if I don't need to, so I will either be in the dry suit or in just shorts, and a shirt if the weather is nice.

I guess what I am saying is you probably don't need either of them. I would guess by the first of April you will not need the drysuit except on big water days where a swim is likely. Just my thoughts, YMMV.

GCHiker4887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

I am not a fan of hydoskin ....it moves great with you....but......it takes forever to dry....does not let your skin breath

I suggest a mid to heavy weight merino wool tight-long johns. ...drys fast ....no odor. ....works well in dry suit, under splash pants, and just under shorts.

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I prefer the Polarmax silk weight base layer. Can wear them under board shorts and a t shirt or as a layering piece under the drysuit.

Polarmax | cold weather and all-year base layer apparel
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote