Not falling out of the boat tricks of the trade - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-26-2016   #41

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I suppose a simple mind takes a complex situation and can only picture it one way. Apparently you need to get on some bigger water and holes.
Oh one more thing. When you say a simple mind takes a complex situation and can only picture it one way, are you referring to a complex rapid and then picturing yourself in the bottom of your boat holding on (one way)? I did not get the jist of that. Don't get offended if that is not what you meant.

I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016   #42

Rivertown, West Virginia
OK I really do have better things to do than argue with some boater I do not know. So I re read this post. That was a joke I made with a cool picture that you chose to start this debate about. So anyway don't get too upset with me.

I do have to wonder why you picked me over Bruce B, Sherpa Rich Jimr Pearen Stiff N Wett K2 OCFry and Evl Mt who all think it is better to row your boat than lay in the floor of it. Are you still mad about me comparing MTTODD footbar to the Mad Cat one? Any way have a nice day!
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
Old 07-26-2016   #43
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
In big rollicky water when banging on rocks is not such a concern, I do the following:

/ slink down in the seat a little

// brace the legs as Pearen said, or maybe one foot forward / one foot under me

/// rotate the blades back at 60 degrees or so and keep the handles over me, pushing lightly outward and upward, thus holding me down on the seat

//// keep those blades in and feather them around to reposition
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #44

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
OK I really do have better things to do than argue with some boater I do not know. So I re read this post. That was a joke I made with a cool picture that you chose to start this debate about. So anyway don't get too upset with me.

I do have to wonder why you picked me over Bruce B, Sherpa Rich Jimr Pearen Stiff N Wett K2 OCFry and Evl Mt who all think it is better to row your boat than lay in the floor of it. Are you still mad about me comparing MTTODD footbar to the Mad Cat one? Any way have a nice day!
Given the tone of the thread, I had no idea you were joking (where the hell was you winky winky LOL emoticon?!?!?!) I was simply pointing out that letting go can be a good choice. Not the only choice. I didn't pick you, as much as disagreeing with your advice. My bad if I missed the joke.

My alternate description may be useful for people who aren't big burly men to know a few technique options out there when the muscles fail. Or double whammy for gals like me with wrist and shoulder problems. The older and weaker I get, the more I find rowing with my body weight (grab on the highside) an efficient use of limited energy. In class IV and under most hoke rides are pretty fun. I even employ cage swimming more and more as an exit technique. Excluding class V, where all things are different. And all boating is just training for class V, so a lot can be learned and skill gained by letting your boat go and trying to keep it down and right side uo. It is good practice for when things really hit the fan.

I have no recollection of your footbar comparison either.
Old 07-26-2016   #45

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
I figured you would disagree. This explains why you flip your boat so often and I do not. When you go in a hole you let go of your oars and start high siding, I keep mine in my hands where they belong, use them to dig and pull my boat with me still in the seat out of the hole. But this takes alot of strength in the shoulders and arms and grip.
Come on buddy. You posted a few weeks ago in the cataraft vid thread. Falling out of your seat,ditching the oars and grabbing frame. There is a time and a place for everything.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #46

seattle, Washington
Quote:
I figured you would disagree. This explains why you flip your boat so often and I do not.
I know plenty of guys who never flip their boat, dump a dirt bike,fall down skiing and roll their snowmobiles etc... They all suck. If you're not flipping, you're just floating.
Old 07-27-2016   #47

Rivertown, West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
I know plenty of guys who never flip their boat, dump a dirt bike,fall down skiing and roll their snowmobiles etc... They all suck. If you're not flipping, you're just floating.
Bucketboater, I just wasted like thirty minutes of my life reading all 300+ post of yours. I get that you try to liven things up around here but your stuff is pretty weak. It is the same old shit, 1 you are ripping on china boats, 2 you are bragging about your big run on the Rouge, man I know that river sure is hard with that picket fence that is so tough to make a little ferry and miss. Of course if you are a little fairy it probably is. Or 3 you are just stirring shit. I suggest you stick with stirring shit. It seems to fit you pretty good. Probable the best job you a qualified for with all your mad skills.
Old 07-27-2016   #48

seattle, Washington
Quote:
Bucketboater, I just wasted like thirty minutes of my life reading all 300+ post of yours. I get that you try to liven things up around here but your stuff is pretty weak. It is the same old shit, 1 you are ripping on china boats, 2 you are bragging about your big run on the Rouge, man I know that river sure is hard with that picket fence that is so tough to make a little ferry and miss. Of course if you are a little fairy it probably is. Or 3 you are just stirring shit. I suggest you stick with stirring shit. It seems to fit you pretty good. Probable the best job you a qualified for with all your mad skills.
I'm not sure if I should be flattered or file a restraining order. Anyway let's stay on topic. The only answer is pins and clips. I bang them in at the put in when running class five. The only way you get a legit arm brace. You can't hold onto your oars with locks when you hit lateral waves, stuck in a hole and waste tons of time fishing them out of the river when you flip. End of thread.
Old 07-28-2016   #49
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
End of thread.
I concur.
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016   #50

Westminster, Colorado