Not falling out of the boat tricks of the trade - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-23-2016   #31

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
Don't be letting go of your oars until you a knocked clear out of the boat, see photo. This whole posture is called the cat brace. It gets you out of trouble when you ran some hole your buddies told you you couldn't make. Attachment 11998
I disagree, holding the oar to the bitter end works with pins and clips but less so with oar rights. Pic's hold the oar in place so it doesn't slide, so it js a pretty solid hold. Running oar rights I do let go and grab my frame in the highside. Not only does that hopefully keep my boat upright but if I flip I am in a good position to resurface between my turn each on my cage. I also practice my favorite grab spots a lot, just leaning around my boat and with my eyes closed so I know where they are. My favored spots are my seat bars, oar towers, and frontbar. My next favorite spots are whatever I can get my hands on.

I consider bracing in my cat bracing within the cage, not flopping out.

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2016   #32

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I figured you would disagree. This explains why you flip your boat so often and I do not. When you go in a hole you let go of your oars and start high siding, I keep mine in my hands where they belong, use them to dig and pull my boat with me still in the seat out of the hole. But this takes alot of strength in the shoulders and arms and grip.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #33

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
I figured you would disagree. This explains why you flip your boat so often and I do not. When you go in a hole you let go of your oars and start high siding, I keep mine in my hands where they belong, use them to dig and pull my boat with me still in the seat out of the hole. But this takes alot of strength in the shoulders and arms and grip.
So if you and Laura start getting after each other tit for tat, would this be an internet cat fight?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #34
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Contact cement.
Put some on your ass and some where you sit. Wait 20 minutes go raft all day long you won't move. And you won't move far away from your boat either at take out
Old 07-24-2016   #35

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Knowing when to do the frame grab can save your life in a bad spot. Learned that lesson the hard way with a long class v swim. Stayed in my seat with like a boss till the boat came over. Buddy flipped the next week in the same spot. He did a frame grab, and was able to reflip after washing through the next drop. There's film of it in the 2012 or 2013 wind river race.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #36
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
Contact cement.
Put some on your ass and some where you sit. Wait 20 minutes go raft all day long you won't move. And you won't move far away from your boat either at take out
Contact cement? POSH!
Sphincter control. An acquired talent, but a useful one.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #37
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
Contact cement? POSH!
Sphincter control. An acquired talent, but a useful one.

Ah yes, I forgot about the anal suction technique. Does not work well with the mesh seats though
Old 07-25-2016   #38

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
I suppose a simple mind takes a complex situation and can only picture it one way. Apparently you need to get on some bigger water and holes.
Old 07-25-2016   #39
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
Ah yes, I forgot about the anal suction technique. Does not work well with the mesh seats though
Well, if one were to become SO SCARED in first rapid of the run, that he crapped his pants, and there was ample time before next said rapid...
and of course water, being the universal solvent and all, he would come unstuck from the seat to.

( A mtn. buzz thread would also probly get started to discuss the best way of getting the seat clean.)
Old 07-26-2016   #40

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I suppose a simple mind takes a complex situation and can only picture it one way. Apparently you need to get on some bigger water and holes.
Oh Laura, I hope one day I can find a river that will make me close my eyes and grab hold of predetermined spots on my frame and pray that I make it out alive. Could you show me the way. Please list these rivers so I can be sure and never attempt a fatal decent.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote