Not falling out of the boat tricks of the trade - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-18-2016   #21
Pieter Porcupine

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Extra points if you don't spill your beer!

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016   #22

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I like this brace I made for my foot well.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1469041545.198693.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	11993

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
FireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #23
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I am rowing while sitting on top of a dry box...
I definitely use a legitimate seat, Its a high-back at that, which is fine with my PFD to me. And a foot bar too. For me I can really get the pressure on. Often while letting a passenger row I'll spin around and sit on my cooler so I can grab the sticks in an instant, which I have had to do, and sitting on that cooler to row sucked, I had no purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I am not using pins or clips or oar rights...
I could not imagine rolling like that. I rely on the "brace" that my oars provide. I also don't want to worry about my blades, I know their strait up and down. Locks, Stops, and Rights for me. So by bracing in from the foot-bar, seat, and the pressure on the oars, I can really get locked in and feel comfortable. And then it's dig hard, go in with momentum, and row, and row, and row, and keep rowing hard. Might not work for everyone but I sure feel secure.
-
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #24

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Aren't Pins and clips like having locks, stops and rights?

Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #25
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Paddling Since: 1996
Yes. Using either or per preference. Using nothing is kind of not a good idea I think.
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #26

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Pearen covered it all. You need to get a seat, footbar, and either pins and clips or rights and locks ifin you are going to row some powerful big water. If you want to lay in the floor and call out for your mom when you see a big wave acomin like someone sugested then you probably oughtnot be running the big stuff. Put your feet in the corners. put you rear in a seat. push with your legs like when you take a poop. Put your blades in the water ( hell when it is really big I hardly take em out you can just steer with em in the water, just like playing nintendo). Don't be letting go of your oars until you a knocked clear out of the boat, see photo. This whole posture is called the cat brace. It gets you out of trouble when you ran some hole your buddies told you you couldn't make. Click image for larger version

Name:	dedication.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	11998
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
Pearen covered it all. You need to get a seat, footbar, and either pins and clips or rights and locks ifin you are going to row some powerful big water. If you want to lay in the floor and call out for your mom when you see a big wave acomin like someone sugested then you probably oughtnot be running the big stuff. Put your feet in the corners. put you rear in a seat. push with your legs like when you take a poop. Put your blades in the water ( hell when it is really big I hardly take em out you can just steer with em in the water, just like playing nintendo). Don't be letting go of your oars until you a knocked clear out of the boat, see photo. This whole posture is called the cat brace. It gets you out of trouble when you ran some hole your buddies told you you couldn't make. Attachment 11998
Love the photo!
Never let go!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #28

Meridian, Idaho
After being dump trucked I made this foot bar. I have added a seat mount and havent been out of the boat without the black side up since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150518_212552.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	816.7 KB
ID:	12000   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150520_134457.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	971.7 KB
ID:	12001  

Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #29

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearen View Post
Tons of folks are mediocre at this. The reason I suppose is lack of practice...In a standard day on the rio, there are perhaps a few minutes total that truly require being braced in your rowing seat. Totally not a knock on anyone, its just that a lot of the time sloppy bracing is adequate to get the job done.

The Basics:
Step 1: Get a Triangle! The three points on your triangle are your two feet and your tail bone. Each point needs something solid to push against and it can't slide around. Your tail bone could use a grippy surface, low back seat, gear pile, or angled board. Just sitting on a slippery cooler top is not the best. Feet can be in the corner of frame and rubber or one of those foot bar things. Just putting your feet on a bar where they can slide side to side is bad. A corner or pocket is good.

Step 2: Leg Press. Use your leg muscles to lock your lower body in place. You should feel secure bow to stern and port to stbd. Your knees shouldn't be up in the way of your oar handles on the return stroke, nor should your legs be fully extended. You now feel totally locked in and you are still in your seat ready to row. If you have move out of your seat to feel locked you are doing it wrong.

Step 3: Hands on the Oars and Blades in the Water. You should be pushing as you hit that wave or hole anyway. It is incredible how much stability the oars provide. It makes sense that this would help some, but the benefit is exponential. Maybe it's the engaged core. Whatever, it works. You will know you are doing all of these right because you will not be getting tossed around in the cockpit at whatever level whitewater starts to make you nervous.

Next steps:
Ok, now your boat is up at a 45 (which always feels like 90). Clearly it is time to highside. Your oars are no longer doing you much good (way up in the air or way underwater) so drop them. Have a bunch of reachable handholds picked out ahead of time in different directions. Grab one or two on the high side and haul yourself onto that tube while holding on tight. Try to move your feet and establish a new triangle with your feet and a hand as the points. Practicing requires intentionally getting worked in big holes, but you will be safer for it in the long term. For starters choose holes that have safe runouts.

I like to imagine open ocean fishing vessels in regards to oars in the water. I'm not sure what they are called but the towers that extend off a side of the boat with anchors during high water stabilize the boats substantially in big waves. A lot of videos I've seen where people flip in wave trains (looking your way cataract canyon) their oars are out of the water.

Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #30

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Paravanes, or "birds"

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote