Old 04-14-2014   #1
Ridgway, Colorado
North Fork - Gunnison

Thinking of getting on the N. Fork in my 14' Cat and can't remember the takeout logistics. I ran it many moons ago in a kayak, but don't recall if the takeout is raft friendly.

Can anyone tell me how the takeout is? And if it would be ok with a 14' Cat?

Thanks Much!

jwolters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
You can take out ~200-300' feet above the confluence with the Main Gunny on the right (on BLM land), narrow road to the river. There's another ramp just as the North Fork meets the Main, wider, more rocky as you get closer to the river. You can drive to both. If you go around the corner at the confluence you'll be on Pleasure Park property and another ramp, Pleasure Park may want to charge you. There are more takeout options downstream if you continue to Austin.

RivRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #3
Ridgway, Colorado
I guess I was thinking more about that takeout by Somerset? If memory serves, the takeout is in a little neighborhood?

What is the section from Somerset to PP like? I've read there is a nasty riverbed in there...
Old 04-14-2014   #4
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hey Jason, yes you are absolutely correct, the official take-out for the upper North Fork is just below Sommerset and just before a nasty bunch of jagged rocks creating a hefty drop. It is real easy to locate on your way up to the put-in below Paonia Resevoir. We are doing our best to get a group together for a run this Sat.or Sun. Give me buzz at 970-497-6512 and lets hook up, we mostly run Ik's cause we're an older bunch.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #5
Ridgway, Colorado
thanks gunnerman, Sunday would be the day I can go, let me see if I can swing it and I'll get back to you!