Old 04-20-2010   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by OleMissBoater View Post
"face yer danger and pull away..." - Words to live (and not die) by.

And never, ever give up. Instead of the "oh shit" energy when you get close to something, change that into "just one more stroke".

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #12
Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally Posted by todd1124 View Post
I am new to the whole rafting ADDICITION!!!! I am looking to do my first river fishing run and everyone keeps telling me the pumphouse run is the way to go. I have done a ton of research and do not want to get in to anything over a class II for awhile until I get comfortable in my setup. I know I have a ton to learn but any help that anyone can offer would be great.

I was in the same boat a few years ago, not literally, 14-ft vanguard and 16.5' hyde drift boat. Fortunatelly I learned on the Green River fishing the A & B sections, not much for rapids beside a few but learned the basics. But I eventually worked my way up. When I did run a river for the first time I did a ton of research and asked alot of questions at the put-in. Then I always scouted the rapid and watched a few boats go through to get an idea. I can't speak for the pumphouse at these low levels but have ran it several times throughout the summer and at the end of runoff when the salmon flies come off. I usually put-in at pumphouse and float to rancho del rio. For a shorter float you can take out at Radium, it allows you to hit the water harder. Seems like there are a few drift boats every year that get into trouble at Eye of the Needle rapid.

I'm not the go to on Class III+ waters but have floated alot of the rivers on the western slope that are fishy!!!. So if you have questions send me a PM.

ssoren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #13
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Best Pumphouse info ever is the BLM brochure that they published as a pdf TBone. Search the forums for Pumphouse, and scroll through 'til you find the link. I"d put it here, but I don't know how. (Simple as I am..) It's got river maps, and tons of general info about the area. Some tech savvie Buzzard should put the link on this thread (someone less Simple than I)....
Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #14
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by todd1124 View Post
Thanks a ton guys!!! I would love to make it up their this weekend. I checked out the forecast and the weather does not look like it is going to help out much but I will keep an eye on it. Can you please give me the details of the pumphouse run. Where do I put in at, Where is the take out, etc. Told ya I was new at this. LOL. Here is a little about my rig. I have a 13 ft NRS raft with frame. 2 oars with oarrights (I know I need a 3rd badley) We took it out the the rez this weekend and everything worked great. I have all the dry bags, anchor setup, and cooler. I have a friend of my that has been helping me out with all the little details and the things I need so that has been a huge help. Thanks again for all the feed back!!!!!
Do not talk yourself out of a good bar fight ( worrying about the weather ) , go to the liquor store buy a bottle of JD with a handle on it a few big steaks, all that new rafting gear and go to the Pumphouse and get your feet wet.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by OleMissBoater View Post
"face yer danger and pull away..." - Words to live (and not die) by.
I agree with this, but before you face the danger, look where you want to go and go there. If you look at the obstacle, that's when you'll end up having to pull away. Look for the good water... and point positive.

The weather, whatever it does, will only make your story better... get out there. Good luck and welcome!
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #16
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
If you look at the obstacle, that's when you'll end up having to pull away. Look for the good water... and point positive.
While I'd agree with most things in life, I don't think that's true with center-mount oar-rigs. Probably more true with paddle rafts, where you are powering forward. Someone once told me that face the danger and pull away thing, and it was great advice for when I get "close" to something I don't want to hit. I think it comes pretty naturally for people to make sure to look where they want to go (at least glance/look for your line), but you better know your nemesis to know how hard, or how many times, to pull. Neptune (or maybe body strength/adrenaline) does respond well to stare downs, in my opinion.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm going to be there all weekend starting Friday night.
Toan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #18
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Are you camping at Windy Point ?
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #19
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by mattywp View Post
... A fisherman died up there last year at high flows...
Just do what the guy last year didn't do - wear your PFD (and leave the waders in the car). From what I understand, he wasn't wearing a PFD. Had he been, it may have helped hold the waders tighter to his body, keeping more water out of his waders. But since he didn't eh waders were wide open, and filled with water. Not a good idea... LOL

If I can talk my buddy into getting his raft out of storage on Saturday, we might be able to meet up with everyone on Sunday. He's also new to rafting (the raft is his father-in-law's actually), so I told hime we could get the raft this weekend so I can get him out on the rivers soon.

I could potentially go on Sunday with or without him in my own raft too...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #20
Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010

I got that BLM PDF and that is alot of great info. Here is a crazy question for you. I hear that most places have a shuttle service. Is that true? If so how does all that work? Please let me know trying to get a few things moved around for this weekend and make it up there with everyone. Thanks a ton for all your help!!!!

todd1124 is offline   Reply With Quote