Old 04-29-2016   #11
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
motor boatin sob was probably down there about the same time as me. We ran it on the 24th of April at about 11k I would say, a fairly soft level for Cat. As one Navtec guide said, "You might want to take a look, it could get in the way" in reference to the new rock at 2 1/2

So here is the scoop- First of all, "mother in law"- what the fuck is that? It rhymes with 'Claw' and for some reason people are calling the 'Claw' the 'Mother in Law'. Any way, it is all part of 2 and a half. I wouldn't say there is something new in 2, I would say there is something new in 2 1/2. A rock rolled in from above on river right- from way above- you can see fresh scars from way up on the right. Anyway, there is a rock above the Claw on the right, so the window below 2 is slightly more constricted than it was. If you are running left to right at 2, coming in below the marker and heading right, there is less room to get right of the Claw. At 11k-ish we all had good row runs, but you if you don't, and you don't get as right as you wanted, you'll want to watch where you are heading and maybe consider going left of it all in 2 1/2. The Claw area is bigger than before with the new guard rock/hole above it.

I agree with motor boatin sob, it will be interesting to see what it does to the already constricted tailwaves of 2 1/2- they were huge at 20,000 before, with the new rock, ???. In the 40's they were really big as well. I haven't seen it over 45 since the Claw appeared.

It used to be there was 2, and 3, and the tailwaves(2 1/2) were just a place to bail your boat out or start watching for your run through 3, but now, 2 1/2 is a thing. Maybe 2 1/2 should be called the 'Mother in Law' and it has parts like 'The Claw', and maybe the new rock is the 'Stepson'- that's one name we were giving it. Anyway, enjoy. I recommend a scout if you haven't seen it in a while. Just for the extra sphincter exercise, if nothing else.
The attached photo shows the Claw, way upstream you can see Niagra. The new rock isn't obvious from here, but thats what it looks like at about 11k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 and half showing the Claw.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	11436  

sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #12
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I wonder how much that new rock will move at high water as well... Could be a different for every run until it settles.

Tyrrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #13
page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
I ran left of the claw..... wasn't my ideal line, but it was either that or stuck on the rock. I think busieing yourself getting right from the time you clear the marker rock until you are after the claw is the ticket, felt like I styled the move in bd2 only to be sucked towards the claw, and I pulled like hell. Still had to run left....
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #14
Sounds like the move left of the Claw was not easy. So, were you rowing an empty cat or a raft full of gear?
barry hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #15
page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
I was rowing a heavily loaded 16' sb.... going left of the claw would have been easy, it was trying go to get right that was rough...if I would have had some momentum to the right I think it would have been easy....

azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote