New Briggs Dory - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2016   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
New Briggs Dory

I thought I would post some pics of my wide Briggs dory. It's a build off of Andy Hutchinson's plans which I started last November and have just finished save a few minor details, allowing for several periods of time off for kids, other diversions, Lodore trip in July, and general marriage maintenance.

Here's a link to the picture folder in Photobucket. Not sure yet how to make individual pics show up in the messag field.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/image_3.jpeg

Welcome to any comments or critique.

Thx

Jon

Blog - Whitewater Dory

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sweet!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016   #3

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
That dory is awesome. Does it self bail? I think I have it figured out but I am not sure. I am trying not to build all the compartments untill this winter which would help it bail. I need to get it to bail for my Gauley River run. Any advice would be appreciated.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #4

Curtis,

The way I did my drainage, for a decked boat, is shown in the post "Graveyard Shift".

Whitewater Dory: Graveyard Shift

Brad Dimock has an updated way to do the passenger drainage which I might try next time.

For an open boat you could maybe try scuppers but there are mixed opinions on those. If you're planning on decking later I'd hold off and bring plenty of bailers, but I'm thinking you're going to be pretty busy in Pillow Rock, Iron Ring, and Sweet Falls.
Old 08-21-2016   #5

PS. You could also try bilge pumps, the 1000 gal/hr versions, but would have to find a way to waterproof the battery. Maybe jury rig a connection into an ammo can?
Old 08-21-2016   #6

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Thank you. I have thought about bilge pumps to get her down the Gauley. I have filled the sub floor with foam so it cannot fill with water. When building it I thought that the water line would come in right at the top of the floor but it will have about 2 inches of water in the middle. I think I will Lay another floor around except for the foot well and that will make her bail out through scuppers.

The Gauley run will be a difficult. I have picked out most of my lines. I will run it 4 times the first week end in a cataraft. Then on Gauley fest weekend I will run one more time Friday in a cat and run the Dory Saturday. This should help solidify it in my mind.

Thanks for all your help.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote