Old 04-02-2014   #1
Darby, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
new boat set up

I just bought a new NRS 14' otter with Bighorn 2 frame and not sure wear to mount oar locks, what angle to set them at, and seat distance behind oars? Any thoughts or pics would be appreciated. I am assumeing oar locks are centered on raft.

BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #2
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Well those are all great questions but in the end its personal preference. The good news is that your frame is fully adjustable so you can change things up to get a good set up that fits you. In general the oar towers work better for rafts if they are not way up front. Thats all I got for you so get the wrinch out and start adjusting.

Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #3
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I lamented over this quite a bit when I first bought my boat and if you search around here you will find pages and pages of posts about angle and length and such. For a quick setup, try and get your oarlocks as close to the center of the raft as possible. when sitting in the seat, line the oar locks up with your knees. Set you oars so that the closest the handles get together is 5-6" (fist width). From there start tweaking it until it feels right. If you have the opportunity to float it in flat water and play around that is the best. The setup will feel much different floating than it does in the garage. For your first few times on the water keep your wrench in your PFD pocket and move stuff around until you get it feeling right.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1988
Speaking from experience, you can get it sort of close if you take your paddles off your oars and try rowing in your garage. When I first got my new setup I spent waaaay too much time thinking about these questions and after much time, geometry and wrenching, it was still wrong. Allow yourself an extra hour at your first launch this season to play around with your set up. Bring a socket wrench and a screwdriver. You're probably going to change it a few times till it feels right on the water.

(Basically exactly what TriBri said above...)
deets440 is offline   Reply With Quote