Old 10-06-2011   #11
Rocky Mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
Of course fish are in tougher sections of river too but getting a cast to them and managing your drift while you fly by at 15mph is a bit tough. I fish lots of class 4 water but not from a boat. That's wade fishing for me.
I think you're completely correct.

Scadden has some positives for sure (I own one of his boats), but I personally think some of his marketing is grossly irresponsible and borderline dangerous.

Life....Is a state of mind.
Chance G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I started out with a 10 ft. Outcast Cat, and still have it. Nice boat for single person fishing, and it's what got me started in whitewater boating. As soon as I got hooked (no pun intended) on whitewater, I knew I needed a "real" boat. After 10 years & several boats, I now row a 14 ft. Maravia cat. Either a 14 ft. cat or raft would make a great fishing/whitewater rig with the proper frame. An NRS frame would give you a good amount of flexibility of set-up. I can change up my NRS frame from whitewater to fishing easily. With a decent anchor system, you can park & fish with a cat as well as a raft.
If you intend to do multi-day trips or take friends & family along, then a raft might be a better choice over a cat for gear hauling capacity.
Bottom line ..... go with a major name like Maravia, Aire, NRS, Sotar, Hyside for quality. Work out what all you want this boat to do, then plan out your frame..... NRS, DRE, AAA, etc. all make good stuff.
Have fun !!!!

PS - We saw a whole fleet of 8-10 foot fishing cats on the Middle Fork Salmon a few years ago. They were having a blast, but they were flipping regularly & had several support rafts & cats along as well.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #13
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
maravia spider, super puma, both light fun manuverable boats. I picked up my spider with nrs fishing frame for 1300. I doubt I could find that boat/setup for under 2 grand again but deals are out there right now.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #14
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I get cat tubes from Jack's Plastic Welding (made in Aztec, NM) and build my own frames: eight or nine so far. I've been paddling and rowing Jack's boats for 25 years, without even a puncture.

Here's my Stretch Flyer Cat set up for channel mapping on the Snake River in 2010:

And here's the research cat I built for the 2011 season, with 14 ft. fishing tubes:
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by riverrunr77 View Post
I also like the raft idea but was looking for something lighter.
cat tubes are lighter,of course, but overall it will be a wash or heavier with the more involved frame that they require with multiple fisherman or passengers. real whitewater frames like nrs,dre,ect are not light like the cheaper crap like scadden,ect.

also,are you planning to trailer? nearly a requirement if you go with a tricked out cat fishing frame or a tricked out raft fishing frame . something to consider if you don't own a trailer already or are buying on a budget. like whoapiglet suggested for fishing, keep the front simple if you go with a raft. i do the same thing as he does. just lean on the tubes or straddle up front with a bench to sit on for kicking back. i do fish allot of class IV runs and don't like all that extra crap on the boat up front for safety reasons, as well. if you fish someone out of the back too then i would highly recommend a stern mount seat for their safety as well and the rower's safety in any kind of whitewater though.

cats are unique and fun in their way but after rowing on them for a day or so,i'm always happy to go back to my raft. especially for fishing.even more so if it's fishing with a couple people on a multi day trip.

and love the scadden bashing.... a douchebag with a douchebag product. i rowed a friend's 13ft scadden on the ark once. calling it a pool toy is disservice to an actual pool toy. any ww chop at all and you time your strokes with those POS oars just to reach any water at all. super thin materials. each tube rolled up to about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle. total junk. good call to pass on it.

anyway,sounds like you are on the right path. if you go used, a really good idea,btw, then come back and ask what to look for and questions to ask the seller so you don't get screwed or disappointed.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
One other thing to consider - if you go with a raft instead of a cataraft - look for a raft with a higher psi/more stable/foam floor if you want to cast standing up. That way you don't need platforms inside the raft.

I think AIRE and Maravia might be good for that reason (maybe some other folks can chime in here with recommendations?), I know my older Hyside would need platforms to make casting while standing easy.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #17
Reno, Nevada
Note: Scaddon is playing with fire claiming class 4/5 capabilitys in a 10' boat. For a one man class 2--3 max [3 if you are highly experienced] boat, his stuff looks similar to the "Watermaster" which I have owned and would probably be just fine. Nice little fishing rigs for easy rivers. Havent oared the Scaddons. Remember to pump them up rock hard or the weak, rubber oar mounts will flex when you least need them to. They both use the same ones it appears.
varmit4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #18
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by varmit4 View Post
Note: Scaddon is playing with fire claiming class 4/5 capabilities in a 10' boat. For a one man class 2--3 max [3 if you are highly experienced] boat, his stuff looks similar to the "Watermaster" which I have owned and would probably be just fine. Nice little fishing rigs for easy rivers.
The biggest problem with small fishing cats in whitewater is that the degree of rocker and the short waterline make it impossible to hold a good line. They don't track well, and when they hit a wave they tend to go sideways and then (owing to the high center of gravity) flip. I've seen this happen repeatedly on class II-III.

There are oarframe boats designed for whitewater, such as the Jack's Cuttroat, that cost more but are a safer bet. Not hard to build a fishing frame, for fishing. But you need a boat that will track, and decent oarlocks, for whitewater.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #19
Cats are great if your a backpacker (1st pic is 10ft cat) or if you want to bring it all All of our other boats (12' to 20') are rafts.

If anyone wants to tell me the proper way to embed the pics please PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0216.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	5140   Click image for larger version

Name:	264.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	5141  

oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012   #20
Reno, Nevada
New style oar keepers? & small boats

I rather swim a class 4 than ride with your guest.

Getting back to the small boats. Just remember the little rubber oar mounts on the Scaddons and Watermasters are somewhat adequate if the boat is extremely ridged 3-4-5 pounds pressure. and skip on the class three unless your double oar turns are automatic.
I like the small frame less boats because they are easy to transport and get set up and go. No illusions about pounding thru big waves. as the prior post mentioned, small footprint, high center of gravity=easy to flip.

varmit4 is offline   Reply With Quote