Old 09-09-2012   #11
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
None of that is really true/an issue. Very fine sand can get between the bladders and shell but that is really only an issue for those floating extremeley silty southwestern rivers, and even then they just need to be cleaned out once every few years. opening them up and cleaning them out is way easier than most people make it out to be, all in all takes 30 minutes. I have done this with at least 4 aires that I have bought and sold, and have never had to do it with one that has been used exclusively in the SE. They fold more than roll, but you can still get them small enough. In fact I have mailed several pumas through UPS as they are just small enough to fit their size/weight limit. as for water in the floor, you are talking maybe 30 or 40 lbs max with a soft floor. If you missed what I said earlier, they are the ultimate playboat raft-VERY maneuverable. If anyone has ever described a puma as sluggish they are full of sh!t!

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #12
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
FWIW- I have an AIRE 143D (a little bigger than 14 ft long). I store it in a boat bag in my garage. I just used it as a prop in a high school assembly and was able to deflate and roll it by myself in less than 10 min. (and no- I'm not some burly guy). The water in the floor when on the river gets drained out before you drag it too far up the take out ramp. Again- I can pull a 14 ft boat up out at the ramp by myself if I have to so it can drain. A puma would be a piece of cake.

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #13
really most 12' boats would probably work. I would look at Jack's plastic works at the fat boy or dragon fly. RMR also makes a good raft. in general PVC rafts don't roll up as well as hypalon and area a bit heavier...
gnawdoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by GosuPaintballer View Post
Because a SOAR is an inflatable canoe which is very much different then a raft!

Little bit of advice for you, Read carefully and be knowledgeable of what you read before calling someone a lier.

Hum....seems I made a mistake on the type of inflatable boat....but I never used the term "lier"

And I still feel that the paddlecat or shredder is the way to go

love2ski2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012   #15
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
+1 on either the AIRE Super Puma or Super Duper Puma.

Anyone who complains about the silty zippers is lazy and doesn't clean their boat. Or, their buddies are lazy and don't clean their boats. People talk shit on here like a bad game of telephone. "My buddy who has a buddy (who is a lazy mofo) owns an AIRE and every year his zippers get stuck" If you clean your boat after a milk chocolate trip...your good to go. Aire's are faster to repair on the river and have THE BEST warranty/customer service on the market. Dig around...everyone knows this as fact. As for the sluggish floor, if you don't want it to take on water, get the sealed floor pocket. Problem solved. Questions? Just call them, those guys are the tits!
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #16
Louisville, Colorado
Big fan of Aire boats. Had a little cataraft, and now have a super duper puma. Hubby and I r2 the SD puma some and have run up to 3+ in it, but not sure how comfortable I'd feel r2ing class v in it, it is kind of big for just two people. If I was you I'd go for a super puma with two thwarts.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #17
Springfield, Oregon
Super puma.
jrice345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #18
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Check out the Maravia spider. I love mine. Super bomber boat. Can do 3 days on river or fish 3 easy. I've had 5 on mine but it's tight and I was on a lake. I've done class 4s with no problem. I've got pics here and on the Maravia site. It has bigger tubes than a puma and a better floor.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
+1 for the Maravia Spider. R2 MACHINE! Boofs really well. Ideal rocker for landing off bigger drops. Have done plenty of R2, R3, R4 and R5 up to Class V on all. R5 on things like Gore and Cal Salmon at high flows and was super impressed. Large diameter tubes are great for stability and not wrapping. It does flip if you hit big features sideways due to the narrow width. My biggest complaint is Maravia boats are a little heavy, have a tendency to pinhole, and do not like to roll up.

I even have a little frame for it that takes a 36-38" cooler and drybox. Works great for the wife and I up to a week. 8'3" oars are the money length although that will depend on your frame geometry a bit. Fishes well, but it is no driftboat.
pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #20
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
There is a raft on the buzz right there in NC. Don't see a lot of you east coast guys so look at this "Maravia 13 foot Ranger self bailer with NRS fully outfitted fishing frame" for sale right here on the buzz.

fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote