Old 07-14-2015   #11
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
While watching the video, I wanted to pull my knife and slash the raft... Then I thought i could just find the valve and deflate, and my knife might not cut the tube, then they got her out. Thanks for posting...

Fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #12
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
Maybe I'm betraying my own timidness, but the moment at 1:53 when she falls in the river with arms visible but her head below water scared the shit out of me.
Agreed! For the first minute and a half I didn't see much issue but damn that got scary fast. And I mean....with the way her body was behaving didn't the constriction between her boat and rock create a sieve-like feature? I could be wrong and maybe she wasn't stuck and it was holding on that kept her there but it sure looked like she was trapped with her head underwater for a while.

Per the dog....I don't think anyone in that situation thought it would escalate like that nor would have framed it as sacrificing themselves. Could have been handled better? Most definitely but not sure we need to jump ship on making concerted efforts to help the dogs we bring along just yet. Doesn't seem that black and white in this situation.

Hope all are well physically and emotionally.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #13
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2010
Apologies for hijack, but we had our own touch-and-go moment on the picket fence this year...

BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #14
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
It didn't look to me like she or anyone was risking their lives FOR the dog. To me it just looked like she was handing it off and lost her footing and slipped in. The scary part is that there is no way of knowing what is under her. For those of you who don't think it is scary, you must not ever have seen an entrapment hazard. The current can be so strong that even those above her can not pull her out, especially if it had been deeper. I'm glad it worked out but that is whats scary. IMO.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #15
Really....... No one is gonna mention the sweet ass crack shot and tramp stamp?
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #16
Salida, Colorado
I'm blown away by all of the dog comments. If you bring a dog down the river I certainly hope you are willing to do one HELL of a lot to save the dog, or don't bring them. Dogs are part of the family and have no choice if brought along, and they trust you. I might have misunderstood some of the posts , sorry if that is the case. But I see lots of people bring dogs on river that they shouldn't. IMHO.

But if you do you should be willing to do one hell of a lot to save them. You shouldn't bring a dog on a river that is to swift or high that they cannot swim to safety if they go out. Dogs go out so easy just a bump on a rock can do it. They can't hang on.

I live on the Ark and see people dump dogs in the river constantly makes me crazy. At low flows I take mine but the rule of thumb should be the river needs to be mellow enough for a dog to survive a swim in most cases.
Salidaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #17
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Really....... No one is gonna mention the sweet ass crack shot and tramp stamp?
I'd rescue her!
Joel_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #18
Kelowna, BC
Paddling Since: 2006
Which rapid?

Very scary...had my heart beating fast! It had me thinking about my own kids. Glad she was okay.

Which rapid is this? Jump Off?
nfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #19
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Well done on saving this young lady. That was indeed a very scary place to have someone down in the water and totally sieves out under her. Looks to be House Rock rapid which these two boats missed the line but not by that much. The two very large guard rocks push a lot more current to the right than it looks. Not that hard to underestimate the L to R push here and end up over there. At low flow these rocks stick out of the water 6 or 8 feet.

Not going to fault you on anything, I think you know. Thanks for posting.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #20
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
You guys are idiots that think there's nothing scary about that. That could have ended way way worse, serious entrapment hazard, she could have easily been trapped or snagged under the boat or between the rocks. I think a lot of you all are missing the point… Forget the dog. From a white water standpoint, this video was scary once she fell in, obviously not just because of a pinned raft. Great recovery and rescue by the filmer and terrifying indeed. She might have gotten pretty lucky there, glad to see that it ended out as it did

Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote