Old 07-17-2015   #91
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by jturnrey View Post
Say what you will about the Chacos, but I've comfortably hike many miles in mine and the 5-10 rubber on the ones I was wearing in the rescue stuck to that "snot" rock like glue. Not many other options would have provided that kind of grip
I've been wearing Chaco's on the river for a long long time. I was reading through this whole post before commenting on Schutzie and Restracs comments, thanks for taking care of that. I've hiked hundreds of miles in Chaco's, rafted thousands of miles and spent countless hours wade fishing creeks, rivers, lakes in all kinds of conditions and the worst injury I've had are broken toenails. Yes there are times where they are not the best choice, but I think people can make their own minds up with out being dictated to.

BTW thanks for posting the video, as others have said it's a great reminder of how quickly things can go south and there has been great (and not so great) discussion on it. Thanks again and great job improvising that rescue, solid performance with no panic. You should be proud of your response.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #92
SD, California
Paddling Since: 2003
You say your friend was very inexperienced but she has very good technique up to the moment she looses control. She has both feet down and one hand on the rock while carrying the dog. That all worked in her favor until it appears that she sat down on the rock to make the hand off and slid off the rock. Watching her climb down that wet surface just scares me to watch, but it was working. Always keep your three points of contact and if you have to compromise your safety or jump without a net, stop, back off and take another look. There is usually another approach.

Great save. Thanks for posting.

toptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #93
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Maybe I'm betraying my own penchant for carnage, but what was it that was super scary/gnarly?

This looks like a fairly typical situation at low, technical water: boat gets off into a too-tight channel. It was accessible by shore, no one was pinned without air, or doing live-bait rescue.

I'm sure it was very tense in the moment, but I didn't see any major risking of life to save a dog. I agree with FSM, I won't risk my life for a dog either, but I'd do anything I saw here in the video.

Upstream crew helped corral the last boat, looks like fairly good teamwork. Couldn't tell if any one was setup to deal with folks swimming out of the rescue location, but with that support present downstream, I'd consider this a fairly controlled and well executed rescue.

Good on y'all.
I concur
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #94
C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Doesn't have a dog but pretty scary for us.

goodnoughc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015   #95
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Holy shit good save goodnoughc way to stay with it .....but what's with the guy with no life jacket

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #96
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
You guys are idiots that think there's nothing scary about that. That could have ended way way worse, serious entrapment hazard, she could have easily been trapped or snagged under the boat or between the rocks. I think a lot of you all are missing the point… Forget the dog. From a white water standpoint, this video was scary once she fell in, obviously not just because of a pinned raft. Great recovery and rescue by the filmer and terrifying indeed. She might have gotten pretty lucky there, glad to see that it ended out as it did
For those of you that think it isn't scary, myself and others have had the above response. When I first saw this video it reminded me of several entrapment hazard videos I've seen and those are just about the most terrible thing I've ever seen. So far none of the skeptics have replied to the above question and I really am curious. As an "intermediate" boater I need to know why you would not be freaked out by this situation.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #97
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
goodnoughc, holy cow is an understatement. Obviously you were able to get some air under there. What ended up being your final injuries?

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #98
Minden, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1961
The newbies need to be reminded that this kind of stuff happens pretty often. Practice your rescue technique especially with new people. You can gauge a lot of the experience people have by seeing their response to this. I don't get the Teva sandals for real rafters.

I slid under the upstream tube of a commercial paddle raft on the North Fork of the American once after it high sided. Then I discovered I was on a ledge with the main tube in my lap. The river was at chin height after my buddy grabbed my life jacket straps. Eventually the guide released the air in the tube and I rolled out from under the boat. That one and swimming Tunnel Chute on another trip taught me about the false sense of security people get from rafting with guides on commercial trips. Be ever vigilant.

There is a fine line between respecting rivers and having a lot of fear. Take the hazards seriously, but be careful about controlling your fear. You cannot afford to be paralyzed by it if someone needs your help. Like many serious sports enthusiasts, I started to meet people that have dead friends. Over time I have gone back to Class III trips as an old fart on Medicare. I used to be able to hold my breath for over 2 1/2 minutes, but now it is more like 30 seconds.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #99
C. Springs, Colorado
Damn Goody.......that was crazy scary!! Thank God your still with us. I'd heard about that video a few years ago. Way worse than I imagined. Thank you for sharing and SYOTR.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote