Old 10-08-2012   #11
Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
It sounds like maybe the TL made a promise to you that he couldn't keep, and hadn't discussed with the other members of the group up front. When you discussed this prior to the trip, did you get a solid "no problem, that will be fine" response, or a weak "we'll see, maybe, that should be ok" response? Did the TL have room for your wife on his boat, or would she have to ride with another trip member? Lots of variables going on in this story. Bottom line is that you need to figure out if rafting is really your wife's cup of tea? The truth is that no one can guarantee a 100% safe ride to a passenger on a whitewater trip. Stuff happens. If your wife is scared and not having fun, then perhaps she shouldn't come along?
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for all the input. We did actually buy a bigger raft,and yeah, I understand there's no such thing as a no-risk-of-flipping trip. My wife's cup of tea, rafting-wise, is not western rivers, that's now for sure.

The TL gave me a firm promise, but it seems likely he did not communicate that to the other oarsmen ahead of time. His words, pre-trip, were " you can row solo and she can hop from raft to raft." Room could have been made, just wasn't. I was just wondering if similar stuff happens. Obviously it does.

TimEubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #12
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
dude, there's no way to know what actually was going on here. reading between the lines, it sounds like wifey can be a pain in the ass on the river in the face of a little stress and nobody wanted to deal with her drama shit on their vacation once they realized this? it doesn't take much, dude. especially when everyone else was probably having allot of fun despite her.

yeah, i know, everyone....i'm a dick. probably right though

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #13
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I am deeply suspect of anyone that goes rafting for a "lodge to lodge" experience.

That's all I have.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #14
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
He is from Arkansas.. This rafting forum just downgraded
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #15
Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
He is from Arkansas.. This rafting forum just downgraded
Not too much of your kind of country back here or folks with your collective experience. Thanks for the input, though.

The lodge to lodge thing was their idea, I'd preferred to camp, but that wasn't an option this time.
TimEubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #16
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
Mania, your post was weak. Way to PC.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #17
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Gotta love the fact that he sold his wife out.... twice.
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #18
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Keep that up and you'll be boating only with the dudes. While that may sound fun, after a while of doing that, you may not be boating at all, unless you become wife-less. It takes compromise to boat with a spouse, as with all things rarely are the two on the exact same page. It sounds like she needs much more time on the water to get used to whitewater rafting. Take some classes, SWR, that sort of thing. And like Mania says, ultimately she is your responsibility. However if that is how one of my friends dealt with the situation I wouldn't be doing any multi day trips with him. Especially if he is the lodge to lodge type. There are lots of boaters out there, couples where the woman is less confident. Search those people out, find some that you can boat with. Reach out to folks, there are lots out there if you try.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
silly rafter drama
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #20
Seattle, Washington
let me play devil's advocate and toss out "what were you doing flipping in big mallard?"

I don't know the flow or the group skills, but if you are responsible for a passenger who isn't comfortable swimming, they you gotta boat without flipping. There it is. I disagree that flipping is always in play. That's really only true if you are running rivers where flipper features are simply unavoidable, and that's not true of the Main at most normal flows. It's on you to use your experience, judgement, and skill to put yourself in a position where you aren't going to flip.

If the main salmon isn't a river where you can deliver that no-flip certitude ... maybe it's not the right river for that passenger. If you don't know what rivers you can 100% get down without flipping, that's a whole different story.

I'm not trying to be harsh. But at some point, and I'm not hearing this in the posts above, YOU have to be responsible for the flow, craft, and river choices that create the experience your wife can enjoy. I'd be pretty annoyed to get stuck with a passenger I'm not rigged for because someone isn't up to the river we are on. Flipping at big mallard, unless this was unusual flow ... again, I'm sorry to be harsh, but it makes me question if you are up to that level of water. Not knowing more context, it doesn't sound like a casual mistake and it calls fundamentals into question. If your wife questions that too ... well, she isn't going to ever be comfortable on the river.

My lady doesn't dig swimming. She doesn't get in the boat if we're doing water where that's in play. And yes, I will make the claim I can 100% get down the main salmon without flipping at ordinary summer flows. I think many on here would make the same claim.

Hope that wasn't too harsh ... said with the best intentions.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote