Old 02-17-2015   #1
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
mouse eating raft

I seem to remember a thread on precautions for rabbits eating a raft but could not find it when I searched the forums...

Over the weekend I unrolled and pumped up my almost brand new, one time used, RMR raft and to my dismay found a small chew hole in the floor. I patched it on the spot and had a great float from Big Bend to Salida, but now need to deal with storage again.

There was only a very small hole so the rodent didn't develop a taste for my PVC but I obviously can't let this happen again. I am thinking of making a plywood platform/base to hang from garage ceiling rafters. This could also slide in, to create an elevated storage shelf in my truck cap, but the important thing is protecting from vermin while in storage.

Should I build an entire plywood box to hang/ store the raft in? I am worried that if the raft is just hanging on a platform a mouse could somehow crawl down the rope from the ceiling rafter.

Also, I have never seen a mouse or scat in my garage, so I am not dealing with a major infestation. Although my garage is in a row of 6 individual but attached garage bays and I don't know what the neighbors are up to.

Any advice or insight to safe storage solutions will be appreciated.

SKeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #2
Cave Creek, Arizona
There are a few places that make boat bags. here is a link to the ones made by NRS.

NRS Boat Bag for Rafts,IKs and Cats at

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #3
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I hang mine on a rafter suspended platform, as you suggest. I have had no rodent problems in a garage that definitely has mice and squirrels at ground level. I also wrap mine in a heavy oiled canvas tarp which may help.

I installed some well placed eye bolts in the rafters and use a block and tackle to lift the rubber into place.

Mice suck, I've had them eat ski boots, leather gloves and automobile wiring harnesses. Some say that an old tube sock filled with used kitty litter will keep them away.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1979
Moth balls

I have used moth balls to prevent mice damage in different situations...they don't seem to like the smell which suggests they are smarter than we think
bgarnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #5
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Nothing on mice I do know that a fellow who showed up late and drunk for a Middle Fork trip spent half the night rigging with the doors open and stereo on in his brand new Yukon. Blackadar picked it up and took it to Salmon. After a week there the car was destroyed inside. A squirrel had found it's way into the rig and spent the week in there eating wiring before dying in the late June heat. Nothing worked. They finally got it hot wired somehow enough to drive. Nothing electrical inside worked. Power seats and windows, AC and fans, nothing on the dash at all, lights were shot. I think the brake lights somehow still worked and that was it.

Insurance company totaled it if I remember right.

But that's all I have. You just reminded me of the damage one determined rodent can cause. Good luck with your storage.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #6
COS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I had a family of mice living in my down sleeping bag during a time my bag was in my garage...I was so freaking pissed! Also I have a co-worker that had mice eating his wiring in his 2010 Toyota Tundra which his insurance paid for TWICE!!! He put capsin wiring wrap in his truck so far so good. Mice don't like to eat hot stuff.

I would buy the biggest plastic container and see if the RMR will fit in it or maybe a large garbage can might work too.
Stripperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015   #7
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Bgarnick's suggestion is the one I would give too. They stay clear of mothballs for some reason. Get a bag for it and throw a few in. That must have been a discouraging sight - glad you had a good trip after getting it fixed though.
sauksister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015   #8
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks for all the input! I am going to suspend it on a platform and mothball it.

I don't think I have ever seen a plastic box big enough to fit the RMR unless I learn to roll it better, but I am going to keep that in mind.

Kengore: What do you mean by heavily oiled canvas? I like the canvas wrap idea but what kind of oil do you use/ how isn't that a greasy mess to deal with whenever you want to move it?

Also: to be extra careful with preventing rodents from crawling down the suspension ropes I am going to put upside down (small size) parking cones on the ropes to catch anything that tries to work its way down. Like the dish that prevents squirrels from getting to a bird feeder.
SKeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015   #9
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
just fininshing up a 24 hour shift at work.... im going home to check my boat right now!!!
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015   #10
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Stripperclip View Post
I would buy the biggest plastic container and see if the RMR will fit in it or maybe a large garbage can might work too.
not a bad idea.. I store my big PVC above ground pool in one of those large curbside pickup garbage cans. A Raft would fit just fine in there. I duct tape the lid shut (but only because I store it outside) but that would be extra security from the mice.

PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote