Old 04-22-2015   #21
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I've never smelled moth balls. Is it best to hold them by their wings or by their feet?

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #22
sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I Had Some Mice Chew Through My Raft Bag, But Stopped At The Hypolon. Thank God!

joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #23
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I like the peppermint idea too. When I first came across the issue I used irish spring soap as well as moth balls. The balls made my garage smell terrible so after a week or two I figured they did their job, got rid of them and just keep the soap bars laying around now. And with a raft hanging from the rafters (that's why they call them rafters...) I feel pretty secure.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #24
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
We had a bad mice problem in our garage a couple of years ago. But 2 free cats from the animal shelter have eliminated any sign of them. They live on a shelf and come and go as they please. If the coyotes get them we'll just get a couple more.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I used to store a 14.3' Hyside pro ( bulky) in a used car top cargo carrier I got off of craigslist for $25. Pretty easy to find almost anywhere and already weather sealed and lockable. Left it in a corner of the yard for years with no issues. Mine was an old taller, squarish one (Sears maybe?) so it fit a raft better than the thin new aero yakima style.

Looked like this one
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015   #26
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by lodore View Post
Anyone have a photo of the damage? We have a great big hole through the tube and I can't tell if it's mice or puncture.
a puncture would have a flap, and you could pretty much close the hole up. a chewed hole would not. And there would be pieces of the material laying about in a chewed hole.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #27
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
My tubes are stored in a couple of industrial shipping sacks I found here....
Used Super Sacks and Bulk Bags| repurposedMATERIALS- Repurposed Materials

These are made from a heavy duty fused material like a polypropelene tarp only much heavier. They are normally used to ship loose material like grain and fertilizer. You can get them new for about $40 or used for about $6. I needed to trim off some parts to make it into a giant sack. I double roll the top like a dry bag and close it up with some cam straps.

Also check out the recycled billboard material they sell as tarps. Makes a nice boat cover.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015   #28
OTR, Colorado
Originally Posted by SKeen View Post
I used irish spring soap ...I feel pretty secure.
Looks like I jinxed myself big time. When I checked my garage the day after my previous post I found that a mouse had chewed on every bar of soap that I had left in the garage. This was the first sighting in a few months. The good news is that this time I haven't found anything else chewed except the soap. (just jinxed it again...)

My goal for the soap was to repel the mice all together instead of draw them in with bait (and risk them deciding to chew on something else while they're at it). But oh well, I finally just bought some kind of poison trap.
Old 04-27-2015   #29
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
All these incidents seem to occur with rolled boats as I'm hearing it. Is there any risk with boats stored inflated? Do the little bastards like one fabric over another? PVC over Hyphalon? What about urethane coated PVC (Maravia)?

Crooked River Whiskey. Not for everyone.
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #30
OTR, Colorado
My boat is rolled (folded) I just don't have room to store it inflated. Maybe it would be hard for mice to chew the material due to the shape when inflated. I'm not really sure on that.