Old 03-05-2015   #11
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
I have a briggs 4 stroke 5 hp air cooled. Basically, a lawnmower engine with a shaft on it. I used to take it off for the rapids, tarp the hell out of it and drybag it making sure it would stay as dry as possible. Then I would store it right side up, low in the boat and make sure it was well padded. The hope was that it would be mostly above water level if I flipped. It always started right up after the rapids.

(Skip this paragraph if you want the short of it) Then, last year the thing broke right off the steering collar mount ( damn chinese cast parts) when it got switched into reverse and went for a swim. The motor was hot and it popped cracked and made lots of steam as it died upon submersion. I yanked the thing up out of the water by the saftey strap I always put on it. I was sure we were rowing the rest of the upper section and rowing out on the "lake" but we pulled over to see what we could do anyway. The cord wouldnt pull at all so I was sure it siezed/ cracked the block when it fell in the cold water. I kept trying it and trying it, yanking and yanking, thinking if I broke the cord we would be no worse off and finally it busted loose, turned over and puked a bunch of water out of the exhaust. We kept pulling it and puking more and more water out till it stopped puking but it wouldnt start. Defeated and tired I strapped it back on the transom and we rowed on down. I would try and start it every hour or so for a few hours. Finally my girlfriend tried it and it started right up. We rigged it solidly on the transom with 6 straps and with little fine tuning of the straps along the way we had it pushing straight. We had to steer with the oars but it pushed two boats out just fine.

Now i just half ass tarp it, stick it in the boat, pad it out a little and go on down. I figure if it can get submerged and start up, a little splashing through the rapids is no big deal. Last trip it started right up after the rapids with this method of storing. I would think that drybox space would be to valuable to get wasted on a motor. I know it is on my boats.
I have baptized several motors: a 30 HP Honda (twice) and a 5 HP Honda. The first thing I do is get as much water as I can out of the cylinder(s). I do this by taking the spark plugs out and putting a pump hose to the spark plug hole. I put the motor in gear and rotate the prop while someone else is putting pressure on the pump. When the prop is rotated to the position where the valve for that piston is open then stop turning the prop and pump until you think all the water is out (I think it is best to have the water coming out of the exhaust valve rather than the intake valve ). Repeat on each cylinder. It is also possible that water got mixed into the oil. If you get it started and there is water in with the oil then it mixes and plugs up the carb.(Sad experience on this one) I now know to drain the oil into a container and let it set overnight if possible, or if you have extra oil put new oil in. If you don't have extra oil then you can separate the water and oil that has sat overnight and reuse the old oil.
My motor rides on its side when not in use. The steering handle comes out from the body at a bit of an angle so that side goes up.

You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #12
Whitewater, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Customized motor mount

Very good information, thank you.
I am in throws of customizing a motor mount, chair, gas tank & motor. I have studied NRS package and need more customizing.

Does anybody have a good contact for this type of fabrication?

Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #13
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Eddyline Welding
Talk to Mike, I bet he could hook you up.
Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #14
NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Redneck ingenuity... though it may not be the most environmentally friendly.

Block of Styrofoam that is larger than said outboard in all 3 dimensions
Quart(or less) of Gasoline
West System Epoxy and fiberglass fabric

Cut the block of Styrofoam in half, lengthwise.
Remove steering handle. Outline the outboard with the marker on both halves, mirrored.
Gas melts/forms Styrofoam. This is a one way operation, you can't undo... but you can shim. Paint on gasoline until outboard fits inside both halves. You can even form a spot for the oil and handle to be stowed in the foam with the outboard.

Drain all fluids...
Glass it closed around the seam of the two halves, add a few ribs of support with fabric, and a little on the corners. You don't have to encase the whole block with glass... you will be opening it.

After doing this, we sat it in the bottom of a drop bag and forgot about it. The engine stayed dry and fired right up after 23 days on the water.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #15

I've done numerous GC, Cat, and other trips with motors just strapped horizontally to the frame at the rear of the boat. I pad the prop to reduce the hazard it presents, but otherwise do nothing. Never had a starting or other functional problem when I deployed the motor for actual use.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote