Old 02-24-2015   #11
Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
I use the sawdust composting system for at my small "off the grid" rustic cabin. It works well using a 5 gal bucket for the seat and a ventilated 50 gal trash can as my compost container. Mostly this system works because it gets fairly low use, 1-4 persons at a time on occasional weekends. Plenty of time for the waste to be desiccated by the sawdust. And the Gamma lid has a nice big opening for clean out.

The Eco-Safe I use on the river probably won't work this way.

On a typical multi day group trip the toilet gets really heavy use, 20 persons per day for 7 consecutive days. If I filled my Eco-Safe vault 1/3 or 1/2 with sawdust I would need to double my capacity. We would need 6 vaults instead of three for a group of 20. I' also not sure about getting that sawdust out through the 3" dia. clean out. I would have concerns that expanding wet sawdust in an overfilled vault could turn into a very solid mess.

I find that I can keep the Eco-Safe odor free by keeping it dry and using a product like Groover Tamer. (The spray works if you actually use it!)
I have a little spice jar of dry lime powder I can add if needed.

Is there always a line at your groover. Sounds like another one of your buddies needs to buy a groover.

doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #12
Steamboat, Colorado
I'm sorry... I know that this is sort of off topic... I know that I'm probably being a "troll" or whatever, and I certainly don't want to detract from the importance of this thread, and it's ok if you guys give me shit for asking (no pun intended), but....
Does anyone know why they're called "groovers?"
It would seem to me that you'd want to sit still while it's in use, rather than "grooving."
Or is it that when you're finished pooping it makes you want to do a little jig/groove?
I know that when my dogs finish pooping it makes them do this cute little dance, their tails wag and then they jump up and down a few times. Is this the origin of said "groover?"

It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #13
Rocket boxes leave grooves in your legs if you don't use a seat. Old school.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #14
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
We have recently started using compressed sawdust heat pellets for cat litter. Works well. As they whiz in it the pellets break down. Poop sinks as has been noted...cost for a bag of pellets is half what a bag of cat litter costs and lasts twice as long.... hmmmm.
sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #15
Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Come on grump. Seems like arguing about shit would be the perfect subject for the Buzz in Feb.

For those who are inclined, I am sure you are correct.
grumper13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #16
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Prior to modern river regulations the typical river toilet was a 20mm ammo can, no seat or liner, just a standard army surplus rocket box. Sitting on the thin narrow edges while using the facilities left deep parallel grooves on your backside, hence the term 'groover'. The name stuck in part because it is much nicer to say 'I'm going to get my groove on' than 'I'm going to take a poop'!
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #17
Prior to modern regs? You can still use a plain box if you want.

Old 02-25-2015   #18
Steamboat, Colorado
OOOOoh. Suddenly it all makes sense!
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #19
Old school groove protectors:

I keep thinking about just ditching the ecosafe and going with this:

A riser for the box and a seat.** Much bigger opening and you can fill the box.* Of course you lose the ability to connect hoses and exit pipe for the clean out like on the eco, so not quite as nice there.* Outfitters on the Grand use this kind of setup, and just sprinkle some powdered bleach on each use.* Actually works well.* I just use the RV blue powder stuff in my eco, works fine too.**

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424891816948.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	9408  
Attached Images