Moral Dilema San Juan or Taos box - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-06-2016   #1

Apache Junction, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
Moral Dilema San Juan or Taos box

I am planning trips for next year and need to make a decision. I have never done the San Juan before and I was invited to go on a trip with a group that is going to do it in May. I have an 9 year old daughter that wants to really go on a rafting trip and I have heard this would probably be pretty appropriate trip to bring a younger kid on.

I also have a buddy that we put in together and bought a raft to do trips. He would like to really go back to New Mexico and do the Taos box/Race course trip again. This would obviously be a little bit more fun and exciting whitewater. However to do the Taos box you really need to go around April/May as well to catch decent flows. I want to do both but will not be able to. The father side of me says take my daughter on the San Juan and the Whitewater side of me says go to New Mexico.
Both will be fun but figured I would get some input from the buzz.

Jdsampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you have never been, then I would do the San Juan. It's a lazy desert river with some of the most impressive Native American ruins and art in the 4 Corners area.

Totally different type of trip than the lower Taos Box.
Old 09-06-2016   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
Take your daughter on the San Juan. Top section is ok, bottom section is awesome hikes and scenics. Do the entire float if you can. Stop at the middle take out tho and take daughter and other kiddos on the trip up for ice cream, that is a real treat.

Daughters grow up fast. Do not put time together off!!

Taos is easy to hit and you got the rest of your paddling career to do that run as much as you desire.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #4

Apache Junction, Arizona
(Stop at the middle take out tho and take daughter and other kiddos on the trip up for ice cream, that is a real treat.)

There is a place to get out and get Ice Cream?
Old 09-06-2016   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
yup, take out river right just before the bridge at Mexican Hat. Best to leave a person at the rafts tho as there has been reports of minor theft. Hike up the trail maybe 10 to 15 minutes depending on your pace. There is a motel at the bridge with a little cafe and the trail will end at a little store with cold drinks and Ice Cream. Snack bar may or may not be open.

You can also fill up water jugs or at least last time I was there a year ago. If you have folks not able to do the entire float they can take out here. RV Park Owner will do limited shuttle for you and for a small daily fee you can leave your truck there in the RV park.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #6

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Umm, I'm in agreement that time on the rio with your daughter is important and the San Juan is a perfect family trip. However, the river has a permit system and May is high season and the drawing hasn't been held yet so nobody has a trip on the Juan in May for next year, yet.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #7

Apache Junction, Arizona
Good info to know on the Ice Cream shop. We will definetly have to take advantage of that when if we go.

On the permit situation he told me they go every May, so maybe they have a big group and everyone submits and they have been lucky and been drawn every year. I am sure if that is the case they will be having me submit as well.

I guess if we dont get drawn that will make my decision really easy. I have been leaning towards doing the San Juan with my daughter but just figured I would throw it out there.

I am longing to do some rafting now that the season is ending and it's going to be a few months before I can go again.
Old 09-06-2016   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Hotel option

Ease the softies into the river life with a night spent at the hotel at the bridge. Many years ago they even had a hot tub, but keep expectations low considering the age of the place and local economy.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #9
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
so the taos box can often run well into the summer. In fact I took my then 9 year old daughter down the box last July. You can do both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090635.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	12296  
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #10
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988