Moral Dilema San Juan or Taos box - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-07-2016   #11

Apache Junction, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
so the taos box can often run well into the summer. In fact I took my then 9 year old daughter down the box last July. You can do both.
How did your 9 year do on the Taos box. I'm afraid that if I fliped with my daughter or she fell in she wouldn't never go with me again. So I am always careful on what I take her on.
I havent even taken her on the day trip on the salt yet and I have run that a ton of times.

I always thought the box was pretty much a April/May and early June at the latest to run. I know the Racecourse you can pretty much take whenever but with the box you need at least 750 if you want to run Powerline right?

Jdsampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016   #12

Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2013
Our group launched out of MH just after the 4th of July holiday weekend. I brought a 13-year old young man who I've been mentoring the last several years, his first western river trip. By the time we arrived at MH, we'd already visited 7-national parks and hiked Grand Canyon and Canyonland's backcountry. Needless to say, this was a trip of a lifetime for a young man who'd never been out of Little Rock, Arkansas. The SJ provided a great backdrop for strengthening the bonds of friendship for all of us. Jump on the SJ adventure and make some incredible memories for the both of you!

Pablo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14540015.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	12298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0337.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	12299  

Jetlab67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #13

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsampsonite View Post

On the permit situation he told me they go every May, so maybe they have a big group and everyone submits and they have been lucky and been drawn every year. I am sure if that is the case they will be having me submit as well.
Just for a small dose of reality. We also have a large group and have not drawn an SJ, Yampa, or Grand permit in a few years. We are 2 for 2 on Lodore the last two years, and the main Salmon the year before so not complaining.

Too much.

Good luck. As a father of 4 who have told me countless times their favorite family trips have been all of our rafting ones, my vote is obvious.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016   #14

Pablo, What is the location of your first pic? Thx
Old 09-07-2016   #15

Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2013
Hey Duct Tape,

That'd be Gov't. Rapid from river left at 1600ish CFS. We stopped below the drop for lunch, to swim and some live-bait practice in the tailout. Also blew up the packraft and several of us did laps taking different lines through Gov't.

On our last day I paddled the PR 17-miles from Slickhorn D to take-out as "channel scout" for us and the two groups behind us. Level was right at 1000 CFS when we hit Clay Hills.

Pablo
Jetlab67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #16

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
\

Daughters grow up fast. Do not put time together off!!
Best advise ever!

I think its 12 these days. 12 years old and they start turning into women. By age 14, they will be into boys and you're 2nd fiddle... I heard that they will like you again when they are 30 or so.
Old 09-08-2016   #17
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsampsonite View Post
How did your 9 year do on the Taos box. I'm afraid that if I fliped with my daughter or she fell in she wouldn't never go with me again.
she thought it was pretty awesome. I wouldn't take her if I thought I had much chance of flipping but she can swim. Yes you want at least 750 with a raft.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016   #18

Apache Junction, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
she thought it was pretty awesome. I wouldn't take her if I thought I had much chance of flipping but she can swim. Yes you want at least 750 with a raft.
Well hopefully we get a good snowpack this year and we can run it late. It is a fun run I am sure she enjoyed it.
Jdsampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlab67 View Post
Hey Duct Tape,

That'd be Gov't. Rapid from river left at 1600ish CFS. We stopped below the drop for lunch, to swim and some live-bait practice in the tailout. Also blew up the packraft and several of us did laps taking different lines through Gov't.

Pablo
Thanks. I always thought San Juan was a easy cruising, camping, Anasazi ruin-ing kind of river. Thanks looks like a real rapid.
Old 09-08-2016   #20

I was voting for Taos until you said you hadn't taken your daughter on the Salt yet. I took my son on the box when he was 8 or 9 but he grew up rafting and kayaking. There is always a chance of someone swimming and could potentially be a long cold one on the box. Take her on the SJ and enjoy spending time in the outdoors together. If your willing to drive there are lots of other rivers with good whitewater you can run in a weekend from phoenix to get your whitewater fix.
Oc1paddler is offline   Reply With Quote