Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

View Poll Results: Is a dry suit recommended on on a raft on the MF Salmon in mid-June?
Don't be an idiot. A dry suit should be considered required equipment. 19 47.50%
It depends on river levels and weather. 12 30.00%
Tolerate a wetsuit for many hours a day and you'll be fine. 4 10.00%
Psst. You'll be fine in fleece and splash gear. 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2014   #11
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
My first trip was mid June,Cold and rainy most days,4.5ft and fast. My first flip ever.....soo glad I had my dry suit.

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #12
La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Rig to flip and dress to swim. We've had very rainy and cool weather for June trips (as in rain 7 out of 8 days). Combine that with June's higher/colder water, and we were very happy to be in drysuits every day.
+1 for this.

triggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #13
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
Dry Suit

I've also done the MF in late May - early June (2013) - didn't swim but you're always wet - at least for the first few days. Didn't see anyone without a dry suit for what that's worth. I've tried the dry bottoms dry top combo - I found it to be just as bothersome when it was hot as a dry suit - and you can't just unzip the dry top to cool off - gotta take it off. Rig to flip and dress to swim is good advice. If the weather and water conditions permit I go in shorts and T shirt - but I've always got my dry suit in my day bag. As an aside - I find dry suits to be the best rain gear there is. No water down the sleeves or down your neck. Good luck have a great trip - I'm envious.
Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #14
Hesperus, Colorado
I never thought about not being able to vent a dry top/pant combo as easily as a drysuit. Great point.
phishoutofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #15
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
Dry Suit

Another aside if you haven't got a lot of time in a dry suit. If/when I get over warm I just get in the water - sometimes off the boat in the stream - based on water condition. That'll usually keep me cool for a good bit - then just do it again. That of course will work for a dry bottom dry top combo - although that combo is not water tight - you'll get some water leaking in at your midsection. Not a big deal usually.

Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote