Mid May Rogue trip/flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2017   #1

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Mid May Rogue trip/flows

Hello all,
I'm planning a trip from CO to the PNW in mid May. I have always wanted to do the Rogue and have been gathering beta for the last couple weeks.
Mainly I am curious what kind of flows to expect as I understand the snowpack was above average this year. The Agness gauge shows 11,200 cfs today. Most of what I have read/seen are mid summer flows around 2-3k. We were looking at launching 5/14, a day before permits are required. Our crew is strong intermediate rowers comfortable with 3+ and plan to portage the Rainie. I know Mule canyon will be pushy. I am most concerned with Blossom and just curious what to expect with bigger flows.
We're not looking to take any uncalculated risks and any insight on what to expect for this season would be greatly appreciated.
I was also told with the snowpack, the usual shuttle route might not be open? Any suggestions on a company to run shuttle that time of year?
Thanks in advance for any input. I would love to experience the Rogue as I have heard many great things. Just want to make sure it's good for our whole crew!

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017   #2

open road, southwest
Paddling Since: 1979
There is a utube video at 8000
kevinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
post the video Kevin
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017   #4

Breckenridge, Colorado
https://youtu.be/gr807yMnfNc

I think this is the link. Looks pretty smooth at 8k. Does anyone know at what level does Blossom Bar down out?
Old 04-20-2017   #5

Eugene, Oregon
At that level I like to go right. Of course when it drops that's not an option. Also I would not recommend portaging rainy falls, just go far right and run the fish ladder or take the middle chute.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-20-2017   #6

Breckenridge, Colorado
Voodoo, you mean far right? I guess I wasn't aware that was an option. Having watched so many low water videos I guess I never looked at it. Looking at the 8k video I guess hugging the right bank looks clean as well.
Old 04-20-2017   #7

Breckenridge, Colorado
Also, I didn't mean portage Rainie. I was looking at our 2 14' running mid chute and possibly punching the falls in my 156D.
Any insight on the mid chute/fish ladder option at higher flows?
Old 04-20-2017   #8

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelduder View Post
Voodoo, you mean far right? I guess I wasn't aware that was an option. Having watched so many low water videos I guess I never looked at it. Looking at the 8k video I guess hugging the right bank looks clean as well.
The fish ladder is just as named, it's narrow so you can't use oars. Think of it as a water slide for boats. Most people stop at the top and walk the boat to the entrance to be sure it's clear then hop in and go. Lots of fun! Very few run the falls but I have seen it done. the middle shoot is an exciting drop but a bit tricky to get to if you don't know where it is from the top.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
We ran the Rogue above 10K last October. I am glad I got to see the river at that level, but for the most part I found the rapids to be washed out. We ran the fish ladder because the Middle Chute was looking a little scary. At Blossom, some went left some went right. There are still a number of great high water camps. If possible I would shoot for Upper Horseshoe, at low flows it is quite a haul to get your gear to. At high water it is a short hike and a huge bench.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #10
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Blossom looks intimidating at the scout rock, but it honesty is easier at higher flows. You can run it right at higher flows or take the traditional left line and miss the fence. I Like to start in the last good eddy on the left so I don't have too much downstream momentum going in, I make my ferry, set behind the big boulder for a second, and run the little drop. This will spit you out headed for VW rock. I typically go left of that, I tried to get to the right side of it one time and got stuck on it for a little bit. If you have passengers in the raft you may want to take paddles for the fish ladder. I got hung up in it for a little bit on my last trip, but we had set safeties along the way and they helped tug me off real quick to keep our large group moving.
I've run it in May, weather can be solid 48 degree rain for days. You may end up with 90 every day, be prepared for both. I've also had the level go up several feet in May, so keep a tidy beach and tie up your boats well.
Have a great time! I love the Rogue.