Maravia Urethane coating - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2016   #1

whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 00
Maravia Urethane coating

I am looking for info and tips on coating my Aire raft with the maravia urethane offered thru cascade. My Aire raft has a few rub spots from friction cause by over night parking in current and rubbing on rocks. I spoke to air and was told the maravia urethane would be my best bet to make my boat more durable. My question is has anyone done this how did you apply it roller, brush, spray, he long do you wait in between coats and were you satisfied with the end result. Thanks again for any tips.

whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016   #2
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Cascade River Gear formally Cascade Outfitters

Hi Whitefish,

So here is the skinny on urethane, it takes approximately 4 gallons per boat to coat it properly. The problem is that it most likely will not adhere to your boat. Not only is it a different PVC material than the one we use to build Maravia's but your boat has also been exposed to so many elements i.e. sunscreen, 303, cleaners, etc. that there is no way to get it to a factory clean state where the boat could be sprayed or painted with urethane. You may end up spending a whole heap of money and time and then end up with a peeling and very rough looking raft. AIRE stopped using our urethane on their boats for logos because it was not adhering their PVC fabric. I hope that helps and saves you some time and $$. My best advice if you feel that your rub marks are down to the fabric and getting ready to spring leaks would be patching it vs. trying urethane. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Keep it Right Side Up,
Renee
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016   #3

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I do generally agree with Cascade but have a solution that I have successfully applied.

System 6 Urethane coating.

https://rivergear.com/raft-repair-so...g-application/

I have applied clear wear patches to the bottoms of cats and rafts. Just tape off a high wear area and use a bit of sanding and MEK to prep the area. Use roller to apply.

I think system 6 is the best and only coating for the DIY.

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2016   #4

whitefish, Montana
Thanks for the info it just seems confusing that I talked with Aire and was told my best option was to apply urethane purchased through cascade, my boat is only 2 seasons old just trying to beef up the bottom protection.
Old 08-11-2016   #5
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
We love that AIRE sent you our way, they are our people!! We just don't want to sell you a product that does not adhere to your boat and costs you time and money. It sounds like our Dirtbagkayaker has a solution that he has used, maybe the urethane they are selling is more compatible with the AIRE boats? I wish I had an answer for you Whitefish and hope you find a great solution! Kindly, Renee
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016   #6

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Cascade, Aire, and Maravia are all bros that support each other in a big kumbaya circle. All their facilities are very close to each other.

Maravia urethane is good. But its not the only urethane out there that kicks ass. Just saying.

System 6 has PVC specific coating that will stick to your boat. Prep is key to good adhesion.
Old 08-11-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I would call the guys who know all about this stuff.

Inflatable Technologies Image Gallery

or

http://raftfix.com

I kind of think that those two sites are the same company but not sure. A buddy of mine knows one of the guys from the company above and said he was impressed by how much he knew about repairing all kinds of boats and doing urethane coatings and logos.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016   #8

Paddling Since: 1994
We are absolutely not the same company.

I own Raftfix and have since its beginning in 2006.

Unfortunately Whitewater Inflatable Repair/ IT is also owned by a guy named Zach who used to work for IT and then opened WIR. WIR bought IT's name and website awhile back. I am not sure if he is operating under only the name IT now or if he is using both. It would make sense to use IT since it is a well known name.

It has certainly caused confusion since the two repair shops in denver are owned by guys named zach. I thought he should have changed his name when he opened the shop, but no such luck. I am sure it has scored him some buisiness. He knows his shit as well and i'd recommend calling him for free advice or bringing the boat to me if you want it professionally done.

I have had great luck getting System 6 and Flextuff 50/90 to adhere well to used PVC boats. I haven't ever used the Maravia product but cannot imagine it is that different. As with any paint job it is all about prepwork. Follow the directions on either product and it will come out well.
Old 08-11-2016   #9

whitefish, Montana
I would defenetly bring you my boat to add a coat of urethane but live in Montana so looking for as much info from folks with first hand knoledge on the subject so I can carry out this project with great success.
Old 08-11-2016   #10

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
ZBaird- what is the name of your shop? Are you a certified Maravia repair center (should I ever need it)?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote