For a Grand trip? Yes, please take me!

duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #22
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
yes always take ducktape and a fuzzy thing on all your grand trips

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #23
Seattle, Washington

It ain't mandatory. but man do I tear up my hands rigging, and I have multiple hangnails by day 3. these ALWAYS get infected in the backcountry.

I've learned to hit 'em with some neosporin then some newskin to seal out the grit and keep 'em clean. A swollen pus-filled thumb that can't take any pressure due to a HANGNAIL is a shitty thing to suffer through on a trip.

Got 2 right now I'm reeling in after a 3 day illinois trip. guess I got weak hands.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #24
El Chupanibre
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I discovered Aquaphore; buy it at Walgreen's. Hospitals use it for radiation burns.

Harrumph on the Aquaphore. I used it during my radiation fun time. It worked as well as any of the lidocaine infused ointments. Now that you mention it I've get few spare tubs that are going into the first aid chest.
OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #25
Salida, Colorado
Chris a marine wildlife biologist sewing up my 1" + knee laceration

prob wouldn't a worked to duct tape that one we were in White Bird ID hours from an ER

Didn't have any local anesthetic but booze was plaentiful
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #26
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Got my EMT (in AZ back in 1979, one of the first) and have kept WFR current for awhile. Thought about being a medical professional until I re-thought it (realized I wasn't emotionally equipped to deal with the trauma, my yuppie-scum doctor brother makes up for me by being almost exclusively devoted to "delivering patient services" - and earning $300k per year...). I also have a problem with the sight of blood - not immediately, but later: makes me puke.
I've seen BAD backcountry injuries, including leaking brain pan (after mis-step down in the Maze, a very long time ago, and he lived and recovered). And I've seen tons of sprains and strains - the most common injuries. But one of the most insidious was just common cut on a Grand trip that developed into full on blood-poisoning despite best efforts to treat it over course of 7-8 days. Classic symptoms, radiating purple nasties after about 5 days, we cleaned and bandaged (hand wound) repeatedly to no avail - until finally flagged over a commercial trip whose boatman I knew and they had doctor on board with broad spectrum antibiotic (some amoxy- or other - "cillin").
Today I carry Cipro, a different broad spectrum -cillin, and epi-pen. Always. Even if expired. And stay current on your certifications, good practice gaming scenarios if nothing else. Be safe.
P.S. - other very common scenario is BURNS. Carry stuff to deal with 'em!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #27
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Most of the stuff you deal with entails cleaning wounds and bandaging. So I have lots to deal with that. And I too know of minor cuts that eventually required evacuation from grand. That evacuation took 2 to 3 days to be able to put together. I love having Tegaderm of various sizes. I am an RN so on the trip like the grand I carry lots of extras. To me that feels especially important since a number of the people I boat with are in their 60s.
Various antibiotics
Assorted pain meds
Epi and Atropine
Oral airways and an LMA
IV supplies and a bag of LR
Stethoscope and a BP cuff
Of course you have to know how to use this stuff but someone can lose a lot of blood pretty easily from a fall or breaking their leg while scouting a rapid. Or they can go south pretty quickly if their gallbladder goes bad and they get septic. It's nice to have some support for them while you're waiting for the chopper to come in.
Even before I was an RN, I found doctors to be pretty open to prescribing many meds like antibiotics for a trip like this.
Hell I'd even like to have a defibrillator along but so far I can't stomach putting out the money for that!
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #28
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I cringe whenever I read about someone stitching up a wound in the backcountry. Yikes! That's asking for trouble big time, and only rarely actually needed. Keeping a wound clean and properly dressed is the safer course of action in most circumstances.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #29
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Yesterday I tried to slice the tip of my finger off. While getting it evaluated I learned that triple antibiotic ointment isn't recommended anymore. Bacitracin or neosporin.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #30
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Regarding the usefulness of certain items, I now always carry double antibiotics. I once got a finger infection on the MFS. Fortunately a friend was a Dr. He had some, I had some, and he had me double dose. I still ended up filing my wedding ring off with a leather man, but I stayed on the river, didn't lose my finger, or have the infection go systemic. That leather man was the ONE tool on the trip with a diamond file. Without it I would have been in trouble. I also now carry a ring cutter and hope it is forevermore "fluff"

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote