Old 08-27-2013   #61
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
No concern with taking them down in the mornings? The cashier thought I'd have a cloud of the bastards chasing me when I moved it. I laughed, but thought it was worth asking.
I was concerned, but we had a zen master guy on the trip who calmly gathered them in the cool of the morning with no problems.

Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #62
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Put in at corn creek 08/08 - out on 08/12 - Ranger said the YJ's weren't as bad as they had been a couple weeks ago. We had 19 people so at big camps - Worst camp was California - they met us as we got off the boats - we built a fire every night - that drove most of the wasps away. Had more problems with the deer flies than the wasps - bit the crap out of me! The high DEET repel spray kept them away - for a while. Their favorite YJ food was the fresh cilantro we brought for making tacos - bit the person chopping it up. Put it in a zip lock on the ground and they filled the bag. Not too many stings - screen house and traps recommended, but I wouldn't cancel unless allergic.

AvonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #63
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
Trap disposal

We too, had a Yellow Jacket whisperer on our trip. He would remove the trap with the 300-400 YJ carcasses with a long stick, and dip it in the river before putting it in the trash bag. They really were not that interested in people....only our food.
One of our group was unlucky enough to get stung twice....once in the outhouse at Corn Creek (right in the taint!) And then at lunch, a YJ crawled into his ham sandwich, and he got stung on this tongue. He is, undoubtedly, already mentioned in Yellow Jacket folklore....

HalJ is offline   Reply With Quote