Old 08-16-2013   #31
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
We're headed up there today. Got the YJ traps, and 3 screened shelters. Thanks for the good beta everyone!

HalJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #32
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by Bruce from Canmore View Post
I'm curious, are the yellow jackets a problem on the Lower Salmon as well?
Just got home from a six day trip on the Lower.
Only time we had issues with yellowjackets was breakfast at one of the camps above Packers Creek, just before entering Cougar Canyon.
Word was they are worst at the more popular camps and there are less isues with them further downstream.
Proved true for us in the Maloney Creek / Oxbow area - we stayed at a not very used middle camp with no issues while the folks at Lower Maloney were inundated.
- Jerry

malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #33
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Anyone have an update on the YJ's on the Main.
cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #34
Carbondale, Colorado
reading comprehension...

Originally Posted by cain View Post
Anyone have an update on the YJ's on the Main.
ummmm.... isn't this entire thread about how bad the yellow jackets are...on the main...right now...?
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #35
We had a trip come off the Main a few days ago and the word was the YJs weren't quite as bad. That said, they're still bad. We have been taking many, many, many YJ traps and we've been setting our trash far from the kitchen. We've also been cooking any meat dead last -- and quickly, especially fish. They seem to abate the further down the river. The Lower is a cakewalk compared to the Main, but they're still bad in Cougar and Snow Hole canyons. They're worst at sunrise and sunset.
We have a program to get rid of them: it's called "winter."
Bring on the snow.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #36
cedar city, Utah
People have asked about the yellow jacket traps....they can be purchased at Home Depot, at least in Boise that was where we picked them up. Sorry for the delay as I don't always sign in and see messages unless I am about to post.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #37
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Got off the Main Salmon last Friday, and can attest that the YG's are BAD. Here's the thing: my group was all vegetarian so we had no meat cooking. Even so, certain camps were over-run with hundreds of them. We were pretty zen, and as recommended in an earlier post, stings are directly proportional to the amount of arm flapping and swatting. Still, out group of 7 racked up about 15 stings all-together. A group taking off at the same time said they all recieved about 10 each, so i guess we did ok! Traps are a great idea, or you can make our own. Take a 2-liter plastic bottle, cut off the top a few inches down and invert the neck into the bottle so it makes a funnel of sorts. Drop some bait in, and watch the bottle fill up with the boogers. Make sure to take an extractor if you have one, and plenty of Benedryl. You'll also find that there is also a very healthy poulation of bald-face hornets. These are the bigger, blacker (and meaner) ones flying around. My 8-year old took a shot from one of these guys and she said it hurt ALOT more. After some experimenting with bait, we discovered they liked the following fro mour kitchen: stale beer, apples and dog food. I guess it is the oil in the dog food, or meat, but they liked that more than anything. Worst cam p by far was Hida, Jim Moore was the best.
bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #38
cedar city, Utah
Sucks that Hida was still overrun as it was one of my favorite camps overall. The camp was littered with food trash when we arrived so we cleaned it up the best we could. The # of yellowjackets there was impressive even once we located the trap away from kitchen.

They did love my dog's food to her logical anger.

The locals said the bald-faced hornet stings feel like a aluminum bat against the head so I am glad we never found out. Sorry to hear your son got stung.

Old 08-19-2013   #39
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks Phillip,

Funny about the bat metaphore...well, not really funny, but my daughters leg swelled up pretty good. It is a good point about food scraps. Always harping on my daughters to make sure we arent leaving microtrash, especially food. Those camps get alot of use, so it is really important that we clean up after ourselves. Bummer to hear Hida was dirty. We found most camps pretty clean, but didnt see many groups using tarps under cookng areas to catch junk.
bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #40
cedar city, Utah
oops, sorry to misread and assume it was your son.

I have been happy to suck up the costs of kitchen tarp to keep camps cleaner. We bought one of those CGear sand free mats and they are awesome for folks like me who love to walk barefoot (a scary ordeal at some camps with all of these yellow jackets).

Hope your daughter didn't suffer too much and loved the trip.