Mountain Buzz banner

Main Salmon beta!

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Grifgav 
#1 ·
Never been on the Main going later this summer. What are the best camps, hikes, hot springs ect?!?!?

#4 ·
That float is, depending on where you take out, about 80 miles...so an exhaustive list of camps and features is gonna take awhile for folks to write up. Here are some tips from my perspective, your mileage may vary.

If you are going to do a layover day, and if it is especially hot on your float days, choosing camps on river left pays off. You get shade sooner in the evening. Also you may want to pick one of the camps with natural shade for a layover day...your guide book will tell you which ones they are. You often have to trade shade for sand...speaking of that.

many of the camps are on big sandy beaches. Plan to take advantage of this. beaches > benches for games and general frolicking.

Bring extra money for Buckskin Bills. Really cold beer, fresh ice, and ice cream bars are awesome treats by the time you get there...but none of it is cheap. And while we are on that subject, leave time to explore buckskin bills homestead, it is pretty neat.

Haven't been up to barth hot springs, seems nice from the pics I have seen of other people's trips.

I have always spent too much time in camp relaxing and partaking to worry about hikes, but here is a guide to those specifically.

https://www.oars.com/blog/best-main-salmon-river-hikes/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.