Old 07-17-2013   #51
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
I don't like to mess with my gear or tinker or jack bars around, I have taken my boat on 5 very different trips from 20 days to 1 day trips and never had to change anything, I just like it right and ready to go.
That's the difference. Some of us dig tinkering with our setup.
I run a Bighorn2 frame and change it around often depending on the type of trip.
I can run it with dance floors front and back with or without side decking, with or without a seat, with or without cooler and dry box mounted, with or without fishing seats and anchor etc.
I basically have about a half dozen different configurations that I regularly use and can switch to in just a few minutes.
There is no one perfect setup for all trips so crank the garage tunes and keep tinkering.

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #52
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
When I built my frame I had about 5 inches of clearance (If I remember correctly) between the suspended bay floor and the raft floor when sitting on the ground. When I got that on the water and loaded it I had maybe 1 inch of clearance- I was expecting/hoping for about 3. So I had to adjust the straps to hold the bay higher.

I totally second this comment. All your geometry will change in the water.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #53
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Paddling Since: 1965
I can't reply, live in Utah with less water than Colorado so must be way down the list. I did buy an Oregon frame and have had to make adjustments.
Mcgreyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #54
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Posts: 435 neighbor is going threw this right now... I told him when he first bought the boat to wait and outfit it slow, but he went buck wild, ran out bought a ton of stuff and now is trying to make a lot of stuff work that doesn't fit. I would personally start by making small little adjustments as you row the boat more and more because its going to change a little. Start with things you don't have to cut or adjustment that can't be un-done. Try moving your towers closer or further back on the rail. Also, you can't really get a good feel for how the boat will row sitting in your garage. Drive it to a near by water source, put the sucker in the water and make adjustments there. Try and resist the urge to set everything up in one day....the best set up is a long process that will grow with you rigging the boat and paddle skills etc.
Hope that helped
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #55
Wild Wild West, Colorado
I cut 1 inch off towers. Not enough, grips were still in my face. I cut another 1/4 inch, almost too much, but just right with a bit of outward tilt, I think.

Three-dimensional geometry with a wide range of vector physics throws so many variables into the mix that math goes out the window. Trial/error on the water is the only way for us mere mortals to get it just right.

The better engineers would probably confess to using trial and error for the final cuts as well. The basic math functions similar to a bore sight; get it on the paper, then dial it in, slowly.

Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote