Old 07-22-2015   #31
Clarno, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Just did it in late May. Five nights makes for easy rowing the entire 74 miles.
Buy ice before you get to Whitebird, they just had cheap white cocktail ice. No blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Willc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015   #32
bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Launching 8/9 - looks to be below 4000 - anyone done it at 3000?

gwiepking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015   #33
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
I just got off yesterday, we launched at 4400 at Hammer Creek, and had great water the whole way. My buddy's boat was running heavier and he did get into some rocks on Sluice Box that I passed over, I imagine 3000 would get pretty bony in a few spots.

The weather was good, hot as hell on day 1, but that was expected. The log jump is even bigger in person, but well worth it on a hot day, and I'd say our luck held the whole trip, all things considered. We did have to jockey with some commercial trips for the first few days, but we still landed a couple really nice beaches, including one with a ~1/2 football field sized sandbar that got about 18" deep at the most before it dropped into the main channel, great spot. Yellowjackets were the worst the first three days, the electric fly swatter bug zappers were crucial, and it kept the kids busy when dinner was being prepared. The biting flies were bad on Pine bar as well. Watch for rattlesnakes around lower Whitehouse, we saw a ~2'er in the rocks just below the big beach.

The wind on the Snake wasn't quite as bad as I had expected, but it was still a long ass day, and my elbows are screaming at me today. We camped about 3 miles from the take out the last night, and the river dropped about a foot overnight. Starting the last day with carrying boats wasn't how I had hoped it would go, but I'd rather lose water and carry boats than gain water and lose boats. Prepare to have your picture taken repeatedly by the jet boat tourists on the Snake. Apparently dirty rafters are a novelty to a lot of people. Who would've known.

All in all, a great trip and I can't wait to go back.

seantana is offline   Reply With Quote