Lower Gunnison Trailer Friendly Take outs?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-13-2016   #1

Lower Gunnison Trailer Friendly Take outs??

Anyone have any Beta on a good trailer Friendly take out below Escalante.. Because I am of sound mind but broken leg I can not drag my 14' footer under a rail rode track/ carry only take outs.. So I'm guessing this puts me in Junction..?? Does any one know of a good take out in Grandjunction for Gunnison floaters??

Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016   #2

Ridgway, Colorado
I wish I could help you.
Bridgeport is fucking disaster! Worst i've ever seen it, the wash that goes under the tracks flooded and left a deep channel too narrow to carry a raft through, nightmare. There's what looks to be a beautiful take out about a 1/4 mi. up stream. It's behind a locked gate owned by the RR. I've heard of a take out in Whitewater but, it sounds like it has it's own problems; steep, theft prone, and nessisating a 2 day trip.
I hope someone wiser than me can shed some light on a decent take out for this otherwise beautiful section of flat water floating.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Those are your choices. Bridgeport and Whitewater. Both suck. You can't float to Grand Junction because of the Gunnison diversion dam. Looks like there might be some access upstream of the dam near a gravel pit on Google Maps, but it's difficult to tell what's private property.
Old 08-14-2016   #4

Escalante to Grand Junction

So is that the consensus that you can't float from Whitewater to Grand Junction?
I can't believe that such a huge section of river with desert canyons has such crap take outs..
Old 08-14-2016   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have taken out river left at the Hwy. 141 bridge. Still a hike up the bank but better than any other option I have seen. Also safer than leaving a shuttle car at the Whitewater ramp.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #6

White Water to GJ

Is it possible White Water to GJ looks like the town of Grand Junction has a serious boat ramp below the confluence but can you make it around the diversion dam on the Gunnison ??
Old 08-14-2016   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
Is it possible White Water to GJ looks like the town of Grand Junction has a serious boat ramp below the confluence but can you make it around the diversion dam on the Gunnison ??
From the BLM page:

Redlands Dam - Just south of the Colorado River in Grand Junction, turn south on 261/4 Road. Proceed through the cemetery and turn right on B3/4 Road, then left on 263/8 Road. The Boat take-out is just upstream of Redlands Dam.

BLM UFO Lower Gunnison River
Old 08-14-2016   #8

Thanks for the Beta!

Thanks for the Beta.. I'm hoping the BLM gets off their ass and buys some land for a take out for this run asap because we are all missing out on a gem!
Old 08-17-2016   #9

Fruita, Colorado
Tbird, I live in the area and have a small trailer, for a fee I could get your 14 footer around the dam (about 1/4 to 1/2 mile portage) depending on when you do your float. PM me. Bill
TupperwareBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
Thanks for the Beta.. I'm hoping the BLM gets off their ass and buys some land for a take out for this run asap because we are all missing out on a gem!
So one good thing about having lousy river access is it does tend to keep a stretch from getting lot's of traffic, also less likely for it to grow permits and tons of regulations. Just think about ruby horse shit during most of the season, for instance. Agree it would be nice to have better river access, but shit holes like the white water access also do give you a little more solitude if your willing to hump your boat up that hill. Not nesesarily saying right or wrong on the issue, but it could stop being a gem if the blm actually did anything there.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote