Lower Gunnison Trailer Friendly Take outs?? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-17-2016   #11
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sorry you broke your leg man, hang in there, I know how old that shit gets after a while.

mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #12
Pieter Porcupine

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Just got off the stretch and could not agree more. In two days we shared the river with two other groups. It was very nice compared to the poop scoop of RHT. Most important thing for Whitewater (in high flows) is that you have to be ready to push hard into the take out, and only two rafts will fit there at a time so be spread out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
So one good thing about having lousy river access is it does tend to keep a stretch from getting lot's of traffic, also less likely for it to grow permits and tons of regulations. Just think about ruby horse shit during most of the season, for instance. Agree it would be nice to have better river access, but shit holes like the white water access also do give you a little more solitude if your willing to hump your boat up that hill. Not nesesarily saying right or wrong on the issue, but it could stop being a gem if the blm actually did anything there.
Old 6 Days Ago   #13
Mile 157

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
take out above GJ diversion dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
So is that the consensus that you can't float from Whitewater to Grand Junction?
I can't believe that such a huge section of river with desert canyons has such crap take outs..
I definitely agree with the others here: there is no good raft take-out on the Lower Gunny, only decent put-ins (Delta or Escalante). Personally, I wouldn't go out this way on my own with a broken leg with a raft; just too much work to think about!

However, it is possible to take out about 100 yards above the diversion dam in GJ on the right at a trailer friendly access at the end of the road BUT the road out there is unpaved & can be rough/washboarded and IMO a far less secure access than Whitewater. The other problem is the hwy 141 road bridge clearance (below Whitewater access) at flows above 3,000 cfs the gap to get under the bridge starts shrinking quickly for rafts.

Yeah access needs to change in these parts! Join American Whitewater if you aren't already a member and remind them of the work we need to do on Bridgeport/Whitewater accesses!!
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago   #14

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The reality is there is no good take out on the Gunny. The bridge at Hwy 141 isn't terrible but you can't get a trailer down to the river. I've boated with a friend and his canoe and that was even a challenge. It's a nice stretch of river, especially now that there are fewer trains.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #15

Grand Junction, Colorado
By the way, the BLM has very little it can do with access to the Gunnison. There is a lot of private property and the railroad controls everything on river right. Access at the bridge at 141 is not technically legal and the DOT could easily close it down. The other (crappy) easements took a lot of negotiation, especially with the railroad. The BLM has done a good job building some nice campsites, especially down river from Dominguez and Bridgeport. Give the BLM a break!
Old 2 Days Ago   #16

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Do tell of the new campsites below Dominguez. Ive seen one with potential on an island just after the RR tunnel. Where have they added more? Always needed somethng btwn bridgeport and WW. Been 4 years since i been there.

Thanks !
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #17

Grand Junction, Colorado
There are about 3-4 campsites between Dominguez Canyon and the new Bridgeport bridge. There is a big site right at the mouth of Dominguez Creek but that site has been hammered. The BLM would rather not see people camp there but just use it as a parking spot for hiking to cool rock art and waterfalls. The other sites are on river left below Dominguez. They're not big but OK for 10-12 people.

Down river past the ranch and where the RR tunnel is there are sites on river left. They're where a barbed wire fence that comes down to the river. I think all the established sites have some type of marker. If you explore around the lower sites you'll find an awesome rock art panel with bears and bear paws. Down river from there I don't know what is available. There are no restrictions as far I know on public land.
Old 2 Days Ago   #18

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado
Hacket Jack, that you? Thanks for the 50 cal
Old man is offline   Reply With Quote