Lower Dolores - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Chinle, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1
Lower Dolores

Hey guys!

Figured I'd mention our somewhat unsuccessful lower Dolores trip yesterday in case any gear shows up: got pinned on a rock we didn't really see maybe 200 feet after making the right run at the island where chicken raper runs left and wasn't able to get a throw rope out to get any gear so we ended up not getting a lot of the stuff we had to get off the boat to get it up high enough to free it from the rock. Lots of lost stuff so I'm not gonna list it all, but if something shows up I'd be happy to describe any of the gear if it shows up. A couple dry bags have IDs in them. Good news is the folks who swam are all ok and the boat came up once the gear and people were off and a little air was let out of the top tube.

Hope you all had a good weekend. Looks like we aren't the first to lose some gear there this year, but I think we may be in the running for losing the most! Ha.

Also, for anyone interested: 6/17/17 at around 1700cfs there was hardly water running right at the diversion dam at the start and you had to run pretty far right to miss boulders, which made making the right at the island not too bad. The run after that was fairly simple until the left turn, there is a boulder center right we snagged on that the first raft easily missed running about 3 feet more center. I read too many stories about chicken raper to go left, but the scout on the right side looked like it may have been better...hard to say since we couldn't see the entire run from river right. Where the island meets and the river joins back up is another large drop you need to be center right on, probably easier to start from the right side on that too.

Diversion dam before stateliness looked pretty rough everywhere except the far right where we ran with no issues yesterday.

dylansinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Chinle, Arizona
Far left at diversion dam: sorry!
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Dang! I am so sorry to hear you had trouble! Bottom line is, there are a number of places to get in trouble at Stateline. Your report is much appreciated, and I hope your gear turns up.
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Chinle, Arizona
I appreciate that and hope this report helps others who go through here in the future!
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I was fortunate to get a scout of the left side of statline (thanks to a generous local). At around 35/3600 that left side was borderline runnable in a small boat puma or mini max style or smaller, only as a last resort.... It was chock full of fuck you rocks with many places to wrap and or pin. I imagine at lower flows it would be way more constricted, crashy, and not where you'd want to be. I hope you get some of your gear back!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Chinle, Arizona
Well, a friends bag showed up at Dewey today so if you see any gear please give us a ring! Still a groover in amor can and propane tank and 5 total carlyle oars (yellow/bluex4 and 1 black), 2 tan 6gal water jugs, and a black food bin that would show up without any ID or names/number on them. The other bags should have an ID or names or numbers on them aside from a few smaller items. Shout out to world wide river expeditions for calling today with a bag!
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
hope you find more of your gear Dylan.

On another note- the lower D is flowing again. What a stellar year of water mgmt by our friends at the Dolores water conservancy district. Early on, they said memorial day was a certainty, and many made big plans for this, then it wasn't. One of my buddy's parents flew out from the southeast for a multi-generational family float based on this info, then were shut down. I'm sure the memorial weekend fiasco affected many others also. Now we are getting more last minute post-memorial day releases, which many saw as inevitable due to the amount of snow still left in the upper D drainage. This works out good for regional floaters who can react quickly, but what a complete shit-show. But maybe not, as I hear the water managers get a nice laugh by throwing off the boaters and hearing of the ensuing scrambles. I know American Whitewater has been trying to work on this issue for a while now, and major thanks to them, but something needs to change.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Chinle, Arizona
Yeah I'm lucky to be kind of close, but not close enough for some of the last minute stuff. I had figured there might be even more water this weekend than we got and and kind of hoping a run of extra water could be great news for other folks to get to float this section and maybe find or wash some more of our gear out. Ha! Happy it had water and look forward to trying to finish this float next year as well as the middle sections!
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

thailand, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Man, sorry to hear up about the carnage, glad you guys are ok.

Ya, your right about Dolores water steven, I really think it was there way of messing with boaters, part of the effort to keep people off the Dolores, and keep all the water going towards irrigating hay. I believe a simillar thing happened last year.
They know good and well how much water is coming down during runoff, they also know more people on the riv equals more pressure to leave some water in it.