Lower Deschutes video - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2016   #1

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2013
Lower Deschutes video

Mostly use the classifieds here, and have asked a few questions, received some great answers. I just bought a GoPro and decided to film my latest adventure, Mack's Canyon to the mouth on the Deschutes river. I ran this stretch once before in the same boat, a 16' wooden mckenzie drifter. It was a lot less stressful the 2nd time. All named rapids are included except Jet Pump and Harris (still not sure where the guy is...) As for Green light, this time i snuck down the right side, last time I ran the gut down the middle. Didn't hit any, but too many rocks for my liking.

It is long and boring for most people, but some here may enjoy it.

sbtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016   #2

Seattle, Washington
Man, really nicely done: great music, cool boat. You didn't mention there would be an epic steelhead fight scene set to the Good/Bad/Ugly soundtrack. It's good to know some steelhead are out there. When was your trip?

Reminds me of why I love the Deschutes

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016   #3

Salem, Oregon
It was this past week, Sept 6-8. Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 09-12-2016   #4

Seattle, Washington
How crowded was the river? I was planning to do that flat next week but got side tracked.

Old 09-12-2016   #5

Salem, Oregon
it wasn't too bad, but wednesday was the last jet boat day for the week, so they were all breaking down and heading out. You can check the numbers over at boaterpass.com, where you buy your permit.
Old 09-13-2016   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
I like it. I've been playing on the Deschutes for 60 years. I love that old river. She still flows, 24/7/365, day and night. She flowed when the Romans were still in mud huts. She was flowing when Christ was born. She was flowing, day and night when the conqueror created the British Empire. She flows today, and will flow when all these things have sunk into the afternoon of History, the twilight of tradition, and the long, dark night of oblivion.

The Deschutes is the perfect Drift Boat river, Until the upstream, afternoon winds come up. At that point, just find a spot and camp. That river will be flowing tomorrow.
villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #7

Sisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 30
There was a driftboat sunk in Washout on the 11th.You did'nt mention Colorado or Rattlesnake which are a little more exciting than anything on day one or two. Nice vid by the way.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #8

Salem, Oregon
Thanks. Colorado and Rattlesnake are definitely the biggest but I had a close call in Green light on the trip prior. How did they sink in washout, run through the giant hole in the middle or did they take the right side?
Old 09-16-2016   #9

Seattle, Washington
Yeah, Green Light kind of caught me off guard. I did the Lower in May and was so focused on the bigger Rapids to come that I didn't pay much attention to Green Light. It was fine but more than I expected.

Old 09-16-2016   #10

Sisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 30
They hit the middle of Washout. You can go left or right just not middle. It was a real windy evening and they said they got blown over. They did get the boat back apparently.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote