Old 04-18-2012   #11
Nathrop, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Sounds like a 13-14 footer would be a better fit for the area (Nathrop Co) I will be rafting in

So should I look at a new pcv or used Hypalone raft? which one would be more user friendly and trouble free?

Uhfch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #12
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
There's great value in used rafts. I wouldn't shy away from used PVC from a good company. I'm buying my 2nd used Aire.

...and no, the 2nd isn't a replacement for the first--it's in addition to.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #13
Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
My two cents worth with regard to overnighters or mutiday trips with this many people is two smaller boats like a pair of 14`s. Set one up as a passenger boat either as a paddle boat or with a rowing frame; your choice. The second boat is the gear boat with just a boatman, maybe one passenger/helper. 2 boats adds an extra level of safety, makes for a more comfortable trip for the passengers and makes life generally easier on the river. The one "downside" is you will need two competent boatmen preferably with experience on what ever river you intend to run.

Like I said, just my personal feelings and I might be out to lunch here.....
Snowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #14
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1986
Two smaller boats is definitely the way to go. My previous post was just to say you can do overnighters with 6 adults in a 16' raft. I am a big proponent of multiple boats on trips. Much safer and more fun. I also prefer smaller boats as they are more fun on smaller, tighter rivers. I have a 14' Sotar that I use for multiday trips with my family of 4 and we often take others along on day trips. I would prefer a 16 footer if all I did was long multiday trips.

As for PVC vs hypalon, both are good. There are strong proponents of both, but as someone who has a lot of miles in both, they really both can be just fine. There are lots of threads on this subject. I prefer pvc boats for hard, technical rivers, but both can be work just fine. Badly made PVC boats fall apart faster than hypalon boats, so beware of cheap PVC.
mukunig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #15
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
You don't say how you might store the raft in the off season. I don't have a pvc, but understand they don't really roll up well. Kept partially inflated on a trailer, I hear they are fine. Hypalon will certainly roll up for storage in your garage
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #16
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have owned three PVC boats & one Urethane over the past 15 years and I've never had any trouble rolling them up or storing them rolled up.
Just keep checking for good deals on boats & frames on Mountain Buzz, NRS gear swap, etc. and I'll bet you'll find a good boat. Best if it's close to where you live so you can check it out in person. Sounds like a 14 footer will fit your needs.
Good luck & have fun.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #17
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
I was in your shoes this time last year and decided that the rivers I'd be running would need a boat small enough to run them (like the Ark & Eagle) and a boat big enough to handle the long trips & big water (Deso, Cataract, GC...). 14"er was the answer for me. For the PVC vs Hypalon debate, Hypalon (or Urathane for that matter) seems to be the stronger more durable product, but thats just me. I got lucky through the buzz and found a slightly aged NRS-E140 that was in great shape for the right price. You can easily fit 6 buddies for day floats, but will be tight for multidays (more than 3 is pushing it). You will probably need to convince some of those buddies to get a boat. A bit of advice if your buying a used boat, see it inflated. Good luck in your search!
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Originally Posted by Uhfch62 View Post
So your saying 1800-1900# is too much weight for a 16' footer ? my god how much gear do you take?
Here is a sample of what gear you might take on a 5 day trip. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #19
Nathrop, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Here's some pcv rafts I'm looking at and it seems like the RMR has the best advertised features, anybody know any thing about these?

14' Self Bailing Whitewater Rocky Mountain Raft $2399

14' Otter Livery 140 raft $2850
14' Adventure 140 raft $3395

someone asked how I was going to store the raft?I have room for the raft inside my garage in the bag or inflated
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Uhfch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #20
Lotus, California
Paddling Since: 1991
So I'm biased, as I rep Rocky Mountain rafts........but I've spent over 20 years playing and guiding in whitewater & do believe they are the best product for the money currently available. All welded with lap seams & they have a 5 year consumer warranty and are cheaper new than most used boats out there.

-Greg D.

greg d is offline   Reply With Quote