Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-03-2007   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My picks are Hyside and Sotar.

I have guided Hyside, Wing, Sotar, DIB, Maravia, AIRE, Riken, NRS, Avon, and Domar. I just guided a new Avon and didn't like it nearly as much as the older Avons which were money boats. The big DIB's that i guided in WV were like huge noodles, but i hear the smaller one are good to go. Older rolled maravias have a million pinhole leaks and I hit my shins on their thwart attachments. I don't like the thwart attachments systems on the NRS (the cards come out to easily) or AIRE boats (makes good foot wedges difficult). Aires are a pain in the ass to patch with the zippers and two layers. Rikens are fine, but they weight a ton. I don't think you can buy Domars anymore. Same goes for Wings but there is a rumor that they are going to make a comeback, if they were available I would consider them.

To correct a previous post - Sotars are not made of PVC, they are made of polyurethane. Hyside coats the bottoms of its tubes with polyurethane because it has higher abrasion resistance and it is slippery on rocks so you get stuck less. The older hyside outfitter pro boats (I own one) were a lot heavier than the current generation.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #12
Salt Lake City, Utah
Coon, i'm just joking about the swim over to another raft comment. When oaring Sotar's that's what people always said to me. Kinda pissed me off at first, but it was all in jest. Sotar makes a good boat. To be honest I could not tell much difference in handleing than with a Hyside. To me, the lace in floor on the Sotar seemed to drag a bit in the water. I preffer a glue-in floor on my boats. But then again, I am not an outfitter with 50-60 trips on a river per year. I have oared some NRS boats. Seemd very heavy and sluggish compared to the others. But super bomber. The Aire and Maravia are very popular up in Idaho, and seem to have a bit more "kick" then some of the others. "Kick" can be a good or bad thing. I think it is a matter of the types of rivers run and boating style. I personally think that "kicky" boats can turn on a dime but are more prone to flipping. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #13
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
For what it's worth, Hyside seems to be the outfitter favorite on the low-volume rocky rivers like the Ark, Eagle, etc.

Also, I like lace-in floors better because the webbing makes for better handholds on the bottom of the raft if you should end up floor-side up. I haven't really flipped much, but I've tried to climb on the bottom of a new hyside with glued in floor, and an old one with lace in, and the glued in one is hella slipery with nothing to grab on to!
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #14
Salt Lake City, Utah
Lightning, I just put two of my fingers through the self bailing holes on the bottom of my Hyside and launch on up. Having climbed ontop of my boat a few times, this seems to be the mounting of choice for me. Pretty easy I think. Maybe years of climbing, and sticking fingers in pockets I guess.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Cool! Thanks everyone for the excellent info. Lots of stuff for me to think about. I'll let you know what I get when the time comes. It will still be a few more months of living on ramen & cheetos though, as I only have about 1/3 of what I need currently saved in the "Ben's Raft Fund". But I lie awake at night drooling about it and posting on the buzz.

benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #16
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
16' ???

I'll let the brand names go and discuss something you might have overlooked.
Lets say you want to run the San Juan in Utah or the Salt in Az. you are gonna want to go with 14' sure you can load alota shit on a 16 footer. But let's say you have never owned and operated a boat. 14' is a lot kinder. As far as a Cat boat goes, You really gotta know what your doin to handle one.
I've only been boating half my life( I'm 43). And I'm NO KAYAK'n Yippie, I'm just a lowly support rafter. But for my money you want to get a 14' self bailer with a blow up floor, And learn how to row that first.
Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #17
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
^^^^^Ditto what Pasta says about a 14' boat. If you live in Colorado and only have one raft, a 14' is the optimum size - small enough to run the headwaters rivers and big enough to take on the Grand Canyon.

But if you're really sold on a 16' boat, here's one at a reasonable price...
Whitewater Raft for sale
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #18
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

Thanx Andy,
Here's more, I own a 1991 Hyside.Thats right it's sixteen years old. Not a patch or tear on it.(Knock Knock) I carry a Freezer, Dry box,And Cooler. Groover,Camp and my clothes. I can still support two or three people( depending on how they pack).And carry 24 Gals of water.

A great way to buy rubber is to find a local? Or not so local? Commercial River trip outfit. They always have boats for sale. Usually at about a third of the price of new.

One of my rules of thumb is, If it still holds air after years of commercial trips. It's gonna be good for you for a while. ???

Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote