Old 10-14-2011   #1
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
(long start) lesons learned learning to raft

K so I will start my first raft trip comircial bj's gorge fun late low water trip full day. Than my boy the waterboy got me hooked. We started on his captin america stinger browns, lower blue, numbers, all blind to me(20/300 vision no corection) started surfing loving river life. Got to the point where I got complacent on the river. MY FIRST SPANKING!!! Waterboy we have been styling the numbers surfing everything on the fly Let's do pine creek. No fowles to him still think he is an awesome guide. 600cfs we hit it up styled it made all the moves than went for the hole. Greate paddle strokes in digging hard but no didn't clear the boil line(surfs up. Thanks ava).were both hisiding paddles digging inboat spinning on us. I see ava's throw bag comming as I get pitched up river.swim the hole miss the rope as I finaly get flushed. Glad they had a safety boater there.(we I guess got ripped for that here. Was 5 years befor I joined). Last 2 years I got to have waterboy teach me I finaly could afford to drop a contact on the river and could see in the distance to see what he was showing. Now I am the guide(class ii+,iii- guide)been working on it 3 years still have trouble seeing the frowns as they re starting to frown(flip you). Lost waterboy as a Teacher so this is what I am asking( feel free to search all my posts). I can read lines have r1ed avon to edwards(the hardist I have led). I feel r2ing is a good way to start, I still am a bit slow calling comands (and still have an issue r or l) what can I practice in the off season to help. Please use mud season to rip me a new one. P.s. want to do west water early next year( me and my fiancie r2ing want saftey)

g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #2
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
I think you should look into being an auctioneer.

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #3
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Wait a second- if I'm understanding correctly you've been on rivers for 3 years and you can't read water yet? Don't know your right from left? Ummm- wow. Not sure how to respond.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #4
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i feel like i got exercise just trying to read that post.

takes me back to the early days of caspermike
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #5
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
sorry for the long rambling post(had a buzz and got lost in thought) yes I know my right from my left but am slow to get the words out. i feel I am ok at reading water for the most part but miss judge things sometimes. I have also had trouble getting anyone to go with me so for safty I usualy just solo the fork to at least get on the river. so the main point of this post was to see what I might be able to do in the off season to make me a better guide. (I plan on refreshing my swiftwater cert this spring) thanks all and again sorry for the ramble.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #6
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Dude, I would shovel snow and take a couple of English writing classes at CMC this off season.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote