Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 09-01-2015   #11
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I knew huggy bear as teddy bear. It's river right towards the bottom of the upper part of Hell's. There's a flat-ish rock, then a little gap, then another rock. If you get too far right, it's easy to get pushed up on the flat rock, stop the downstream tube in the gap, and have your upstream tube suck down into a perch/wrap. Frankly, there are lots of prap options like that in Lodore, but fewer true wrap locations... At low water (800-1000) there's a narrow gap just to the left, then another rock, then the plan B exit, then another rock to the left, then finally the preferred exit from a right run of Lucifer. I looked, but don't think I have any pictures.

I used to do the left run of Lucifer all the time. I set up to pull a downstream ferry into the ledge hole on the left, that grabbed the stern and spun me around, and I cruised on out. Or at least it worked that way until it didn't... Then I wrapped. That took a while and really messed up our lunch plans... Now I pull upstream to slow down while I let the river carry me right, and then work back left just below. Not as pretty, and not as fun, but lower consequence. That's all in 18' boats. I had a chance to do it in my kayak once, man that felt like a lot of space!
There's a larger rock towards the top of the lower rock garden in Hell's. If you start on the right side of it and then work back left almost up against the island, you can get a big boat through with only one mild drag on a rock at 800. A lot easier to figure out when you're lapping it every week than once a year.

asleep.at.the.oars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015   #12
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the info, asleep. at. the. oars!
Huggy's sounds like a nasty little trap to end up in with a gear boat!
Like the drop in behind lucifers from the right move.

"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote