Old 09-19-2014   #21
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Stay away from Catsailor and your risk of getting struck by lightening drops.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #22
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
Stay away from Catsailor and your risk of getting struck by lightening drops.
Yeah no shit, problem solved

desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #23
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1877
Food for thought

Taken from the National Parks Traveler,
Updated: Colorado River Guide Hit By Lightning In Bottom Of Grand Canyon

Submitted by NPT Staff on July 23, 2013 - 3:31pm
Editor's note: This updates with additional details of incident, guide being discharged from hospital.
You wouldn't think with walls rising roughly a mile above you on either side that you'd get struck by lightning. But that happened the other day to a Colorado River guide in the bottom of Grand Canyon National Park.
The Arizona Raft Adventures guide wasn't struck directly by a bolt, but more likely was shocked by a discharge of electricity from the bolt, said Dennis Smoldt, the company's personnel manager.
"There were two birthdays on the trip that they were celebrating. The group was gathered around a table where they were doing a birthday cake," Mr. Smoldt said from his Flagstaff, Arizona, office. The assumption was that "the bolt hit the beach, and the wet sand was the conduit for the electricity," he added.
The incident happened Sunday evening while the group was camped at river mile 220. The Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center received a call shortly after 9 p.m. Sunday reporting that an Arizona Raft Adventures river guide "required medical attention as a result of a lightning strike," a park release said.
The guide was airlifted out of the canyon by an Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter and taken to the University Medical Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, for treatment of associated injuries.
Mr. Smoldt said the guide was released from the hospital Tuesday afternoon without any lasting injuries.
"He's doing very well," he said.
While lightning strikes at the bottom of the canyon are rare, according to park officials, "backcountry users can help reduce risk by getting off the water as soon as thunder is heard and not stand in the river or other pools of water during a storm."
"Avoid seeking shelter near trees and bushes that rise above others and avoid cave entrances," they add. "If in an open area during a storm, it is recommend to assume the lightning position which will reduce the chances of getting a direct strike. Individuals should squat or ball up to be as low as possible, without lying flat on the ground. Wrap your arms around your legs, keep your feet together, and if possible use a sleeping pad or other insulated object to sit on; avoid sitting on backpacks with metal frames."
lazy backpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #24
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Catsailor attracts lightning

Yea, steer clear of me and your chances of electrocution plummet. My motive for participating in the forum is not to brag about near-misses.I want to add to the knowlegde base. I do a lot of sailing on hobie-cat type boats, and you are parading around with a 32' mast sticking up. It's an anodized extrusion, and it's siting on a delron plastic ball. Thus not very grounded, if at all. I've been out in electrical storms that just about stopped my heart. Hemingway writes about "there is no bigger thrill than being shot at and missed." Most close to lightning, I'm on the beach at Ocean City, Maryland. It starts squalling, and I retreated into a boardwalk bar. Lighting hit about 30-50 feet away on the beach, and the floor to ceiling windows in the bar gave this big sigh in, then out. About 6 inches. Never seen glass flex like that. The bolt was about three feet wide, and danced along the beach for a moment. like you see in cartoon approximations of lightning. I hope i never ride the billion-volt pony, but it sure is fascinating.
catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #25
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
So oddly enough the safest place in a lightning storm is inside a metal sphere. why you ask? well, a property of metal is that all electrons will go to the surface since they repel each other. current through a wire is all on the surface, never inside. this is why cars are generally considered very safe.

now on the river you will probably be in a plastic boat which is non-conductive. the advantage of that is current will not really want to pass through a non-conductor but if all the surfaces are wet it could conduct through the occupants and over the wet surface to the ground. still better than being under a tall tree or in a cave like depression. current can strike the top of the tree or hill and travel down, sometimes sparking across the gaps or humans in its path.

fun fact. the air is a giant insulator. when the electric field gets too high due to charge buildup it ionizes the air and it becomes conductive.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #26
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
So the boat is non conductive but what about the oars. Many are made of aluminum, wouldn't that make a great conduit?
I am glad this thread happened, I never really new what to do either. I carry my helmet on the boat even on fishing trips just for big hail. I also remember once on the Smith getting caught out in a huge storm with lots of hail, lightning, etc. we pulled over and stood around with galvi dish buckets over our heads. It was pretty loud. And pretty stupid I'm sure. That same storm brought lots of damage and flooding to Great Falls.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #27
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I would think current would travel through aluminum oars but keep in mind lightning strikes to where charge has built up which is usually at a high point not in the riverbed.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote