Late September MFS - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2016   #1

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Late September MFS

Well,

This year has been quite the cluster flock trying to get a low-flow MFS cancellation. With the apparent ability of some to robo call Rec. Gov and snag the cancels as they post up combined with the no reissue of the Aug. 15 to Sept. 15 cancels it seems almost impossible to snag a permit with a couple weeks notice.

Our small group has happily done flows down to 1.5 off the top and should be able to handle it even with a little less water. I am looking at Sept. 26 launch off the top and am wondering what base flows could be at that late date.

We could fly a couple hundred pounds of beer into Indian if needed but really have never had an issue taking the kitchen sink along off the top. Any data about flow that time of year is appreciated.

fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #2

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
You can expect flows to stay about the same. Potential short spikes if rain. You'll have less then 12 hours of light and it could/will get really cold at night and then hot in the day. You'll need to be ready for all weather conditions. It could rain none stop. Shuttles are a bit more $$ and an SOB to work out so get on that one now. If your going to fly stuff in, you might as well pack the plane. And work out your plane now too. The earlier you book the better. Expect outdoor service providers to be in full swing for their hunting clients.
Old 08-08-2016   #3

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
We floated at 1.3 from boundary in September and managed just fine. Flew in beer and the second bocci set to Indian creek so load that plane up.

Like what fdon mentioned, be prepared for changing weather and flows. One of the creeks blew out above us and the river gauge went up nearly a foot.

Enjoy the September solitude of the mfs!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
wickums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #4

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Thanks so much! Exactly what I thought I would hear. Beer goes in the boats. The hunters need the planes more than we do. May be the "new normal" for us.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #5

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Ice goes really far and beer gets cold in late September MFS water. Crystal lite and Bacardi shave a few more lbs. I like early and late season paddling.
Old 08-09-2016   #6

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Solitude in September?! Every stinking permit is reserved through the end of the month! Although I'm sure there will be plenty of open slots once the nuts get frosty
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #7

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
Pray for snow!
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #8

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I just did, and then I had a gassy moment. Which ended up bad for my loved ones.now they're on their knees praying, what the hell is happening???

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Why would you want to go in late September? Frosty nights, horseflies the size of small planes, no one around for safety if you have problems, gettng stuck all the time......who needs it? Better off to stay home and watch the political shit shows unfold and make sure our country stays/gets on track.

wickums-when was that 1.3 trip?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #10

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Carvedog, well put. I was also wondering about when the 1.3 occurred.
jkisraft is offline   Reply With Quote