Old 07-01-2016   #1
Crested Butte, Colorado
Lake Fork of the Gunnison floating levels?

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had info about floating the Lake Fork of the Gunnison. I feel like maybe I missed the window, but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm primarily interested in the town-high bridge and high bridge-gate stretches. The level is currently 620 at gateview, and 260 below the lake, are either of those stretches runnable at those levels? Any obstructions or strainers to worry about? Thanks!!

meatoncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #2
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hey Mike, welcome aboard. The town run might not actually be a float even at this level, but the gateview section definitely would be considered a float. Anything above 500 on the gateview guage is good for most of the bottom runs including the Box Canyon run. It makes a big difference wether you are kayaking or rafting for duable flows. The Redbridge section is by far the most complex and technical section and should only be done with friends who want class IV action.. Time is very short to still catch this, maybe the last week.

gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #3
Crested Butte, Colorado
Thanks Gunnerman! I'm really looking for the fishing, which is why I am interested in the upper sections. I'm not much of a whitewater guy, that redbridge section would kick my butt!
Given that the lower section is almost too low I expect that the upper sections are already done. Thanks again for the response.
Have a good 4th!
meatoncb is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off