Old 05-18-2009   #11
woodland park, Colorado
Remember that rafts function much different than I kayak, which I am sure you know. As mentioned in an earlier thread you can not make last min adjustments in a raft like you can in a kayak. Keep you oars in the water when possible, this way you can make quick minor adjustments when needed. Remember: with oares you back stroke is your strongest stroke.

Also, your lines in a kayak are often different than you lines in a raft. You can't sneak that big ole boat in places you can get your kayak.

Rocks are often you bigest challenge in Brown's because with oras and a raft you are so wide. At the current flows a lot of the rocks are covered. Canyon Door and Pinball are read and run, pretty straight forward. Zume in a oar frame just requires a slight rightward movement through the rapid to avoid the rock/hole that comes in 2/3 you way through it. Fortunately in a raft the water wants to move you that way with with the correct approach. You said you know your line so Widow Maker and Rafter ripper are straighforward too. I have seen Raft Ripper give many an inflatable a rough time cuz the rock is harder to spot at 2k.

If you are up for a good challenge take you at Stone brindge but I recommend scoutting Sidels. The left to right move especially with paddle assist should be no problem. Twin Falls below that is an awesome wave train that really gives newbies a ride.

Enjoy. I will be out there this weekend too so when you see two girls in a shredder wave to us.

oh and one last thought, although we all know there will be a ton of people out there on Brown's this weekend do not rely on others to get you out of a jam. Give your newbies a good safety speach, teach them how to use the safety gear, express the importance of self rescue and more importantly... stay in the boat!

nicmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #12
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by nicmayer View Post
Give your newbies a good safety speach, teach them how to use the safety gear
This is so true,safety meetings are mandatory. And be familiar with that gear...Nudge nudge.

We've got room on the Poudre for two girls in a shredder.....

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #13
woodland park, Colorado
We've got room on the Poudre for two girls in a shredder.....[/quote]

When? I do love the Poudre
nicmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #14
C. Springs, Colorado
One thing that's saved me a time or two is..........spin to win.....go with the flow.....punch the holes. Oops....that was three.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #15
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
When in dobt go right
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
When in dobt go right
I thought it was, when in doubt, spin about.

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote