Old 04-08-2009   #1
Hot Springs, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2002
Just bought a Raft

I just bought my first raft (a 12' Canyon). I have been guiding and rafting for about 6 years but my wife and kid have never been. I live in Hot Springs, NC and want to take them rafting in the coming weeks but don't know which rivers would be best for them. I know of the French Broad and Nantahala (the river I guided) would be good but don't know many other "beginner", class II-III, rivers in the area. Any help would be much appreciated. I am willing to drive a few hours and make a camping weekend out of it. Thanks in advance.

PM if you want. Thanks.

Abramsrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Not to hijack your thread, but, I'll be in Asheville around June 13th and I'm putting together a list of rivers I need to run while I'm there, too. I'll be traveling quite a bit to hit some of them, which is fine with me. So far, the list is short:
French Broad
Youghegheny (sp?)

What else?

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #3
Hot Springs, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2002
The Nolichicky in Eastern TN is a good one, has many class IV rapids. Nantahala is a mainly class II with a nice rapid at the end (class III), but the river is very fun and easy to play around. If you do go the the Nanta stop by Pizza by the River on the right side. French broad is nice, I live real close to it in Hot Springs. I don't know any others. Hopefully others will chime in and let us know. And I just looked it up and you were close on the spelling, it is actually, Youghiogheny. Thanks.
Abramsrau is offline   Reply With Quote