Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-26-2015   #1
St. Louis, Missouri
Paddling Since: 2001
Join Lodore Permit in May for Magazine Article?

I am a contributor to Canoe and Kayak Magazine, and I'm conducting a story about retracing the Powell expedition route on the Green and Colorado Rivers.

As such, I'm attempting to paddle all the sections via raft and/or kayak in sequence, though probably broken up over three trips. I already have my Grand Canyon permit for late December 2015 and I'm trying to put together all the previous sections prior to that date. Ideally, I would like to break the trip into three units: one month in may, some additional weeks in August, and the rest in December/January.

The one permit I have been unable to obtain is Lodore through Dino in May.

I realize May is high season, and so I wonder if there is someone out there with a permit already scheduled that would have space for me to join their group?

It would just be me rowing one 14' raft, plus one or two other paddlers, as space allowed, in either the raft or kayaking. My team would of course share costs, help in any way the trip leader desired, and we're friendly, easy going boaters!

Separate from the permit, I'm looking to interview any boaters who have ran the entire length from Green River, WY down through Grand Canyon and possibly beyond, whether continuously or over multiple trips.

If you or someone you know may be able to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike Bezemek

mcbezemek [at] gmail [dot] com

mikebezemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #2
Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
a couple guys did this recently and produced a short film called "Remains of a River"

you can see it on NRS's website

Source-to-Sea Down the Colorado | Souls + Water | NRS Community

crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #3
Arboles, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think many of us would like to tie all the stretches together at once, and Lodore will ALWAYS be the crux. Best of luck finding a trip to join. Maybe you could get on the river by offering to volunteer for tamarisk removal, which the park regularly does. Might be worth contacting the park (a gal named Tamara used to be in charge of the program) and check it out.
grin1 is offline   Reply With Quote