Old 06-03-2008   #1
everson, Washington
Is this a good raft?

I was looking to get a cheap raft for local class I, II rivers. This Avon is for sale local and cheap ($400 with oars and frame). If it is in good shape is this a good deal? It has got to be 20+ years. How long can rubber last?

fledgling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
That depends how it was maintained, but for someone to sell it off for $400, I would expect it to be in pretty bad shape. Pump it up, soap it down looking for leaks. Side of your face is more sensitive looking for those pinprick leaks. Leave it pumped up over night to see how it holds air. It is probably more of a question of hows fast it loses air as opposed to does it lose air. Then again, if you are looking to go dirt cheap, and are only going to fish easy stuff, $400 dollar raft might hold you until you want to buy something better. GL!

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #3
Palisade, Colorado
class I and II?
buy it.
buy it.
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #4
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986

Avon makes really, really fine rafts. I used one for wilderness lake sampling and never had a problem despite rough handling. And it looks like it's been under cover, mostly: the hypalon coating still has a slight gloss. If the seams aren't pulling apart, the rest is probably good. Plus there's a frame and oars.

$400? Jump on it, mate.

The pointed bow makes me think it was designed to mount a transom and a motor. Any idea about the model and number?

In any event, it'd be great for what you propose. And a bit more besides.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #5
everson, Washington
Thanks for the advice all. I ended up getting the raft for $380. It holds air great. I left it over night. It didn't lose any air at all. The best part is I have a cooler that fits the frame. I took it out for a ride on the Nooksack yesterday. Lots of fun.
fledgling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
That's a great price. Even if the raft was bad the frame and ores are worth more at least that if not more.

You did great. Also I second that Avon, especially old ones are built really well. If you look at the serial # the last digits will tell you what year it was made, in case you care or don't know.

Have an awesome time with it!
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #7
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986

You should be locked up.

Two observations: the way the frame is rigged in the photo, the rowing station is pretty far aft. If you're on simple water with a couple riders/paddlers in the bow, fine.

Otherwise, (and for solo rowing in stiffer conditions) you might want to shift the thwart and frame for'ards. Otherwise, you'll have that pointed bow popping up and blocking your view, while the stern is swamping.

I'm not familiar with the setup on this model, but mounting a few dees so you can shift the thwart, etc. isn't a major job. Nice to be trimmed with your weight and oars near the fore-aft centerline.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote